By kacie smith - 16/09/2012 12:36 - United States - Youngsville

Today, my husband and I bought a new swing for our front porch. We put it together and sat down to enjoy our accomplishment. 5 minutes into our swing I threw up several times. I have really bad motion sickness, and apparently a swing is no exception. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 705
You deserved it 3 733

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So was your childhood nonexistent? Or is motion sickness one of those things you can develop as an adult (assuming you're not pregnant or anything)?

perdix 29

Why didn't you get off after you threw up the first time? I'll bet your sex life is very dynamic ;) You probably lay there like a boat anchor to keep from puking.

Comments

I used to run cross country, and I could never eat anything two hours before I ran or I would throw up. I ate a mint once before I went running and even that made me throw up -.- I stick to cycling now.

that's not to do with motion sickness, that's more to do with the digestive/muscular systems trying to compete. when you eat, the blood goes to your stomach to digest, and when you exercise the blood goes to your muscles. if you still have food in your stomach when you exercise the stomach can't cope and so your body purges it to exercise easier. sorry if you didnt care, i've just finished a sport science degree and im a bit of a nerd when it comes to stff like this :P

I think it's interesting :) I only throw up when running, though, never for cycling or dance or hiking or anything like that, so I think it has something to do with the continuous and harsh up and down motion on my stomach as well as what you described. I knew it wasn't all to do with motion sickness, though, because that's really the only time I have those motion related symptoms. I just could relate about the throwing up part for something as insignificant as a mint, or porch swing.

ah i see! well i generally feel sick when i run but that might be cos i hate it so much :P glad i educated you :)

The same thing happens to me. I assumed my motion sickness was only concentrated to travel, but alas sometimes even laying in my hammock makes me throw up.

If its too intense, there are benches that you can buy that rock back and forth and shouldn't give you as much motion sickness. Unless thats the kind of swing you have then you are super sensitive. I wonder how you handle boats.

I'd hate to sit next to you on the zipper or a roller coaster. FYL because you can't enjoy the fun of a amusement park.

astralvagan 20

Can you take Dramamine? That might be a good idea.... I've also heard chewing gum while in motion helps because it gives your brain something extra to focus on.

Chewing gum works wonders. When I go on long trips I make sure to bring gum with me. It settles my stomach so I can enjoy the ride. I find that Wrigley's winterfresh gum works really well for motion sickness and any kind of bellyache really

I get motion sickness too. :P Try Sea-Band wristbands. This way you won't need meds and won't have the side effects that'll make you sleepy like Dramamine might cause.

SuiGeneris01 2

That sucks!! Swings are awesome!

Maybe you can still get a refund, and buy some chairs. But seriously that legit sucks. I'm sorry.

I started feeling like that when I was in 5th grade. Needless to say it ruined recess for me, so I feel your pain.

toughchick14 15

You can get motion sickness from a swing? Wow!