By is cum a fruit or a vegetable? - 17/07/2015 17:50 - United States - Germantown

Today, my grandpa saw one of the paintings in the guest room at my house. "What the fuck?" he snorted, then said whoever painted it should "stick to their damn day job". I painted it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 824
You deserved it 2 631

Same thing different taste

Top comments

To be fair, Vincent Van Gogh killed himself because he was discouraged, but now he's one of the greatest, don't worry OP keep up the paintings, you'll be famous one day

Comments

To be fair, Vincent Van Gogh killed himself because he was discouraged, but now he's one of the greatest, don't worry OP keep up the paintings, you'll be famous one day

ourtneyc 14

that's not entirely accurate he did have a huge history of mental illness as well

RedPillSucks 31

gramps will be the first in line with posthumous adoration if OP got famous

Badkarma4u 17

Or one of the millions of other artists no one will ever hear of.

art is to be felt, not to be beautiful....but I am very curious as to what the painting was of indeed!

_taylorharper_ 18

Definitely a fruit.. But ignore you're grandpa, stick to doing what you love

Curious as to why you say it's a fruit?

I'm pretty sure it's a fruit; but just ignore him. Continue painting if that's what you really enjoy.

That's why he's staying in your guest room and you're not visiting him in his art-critic-career-funded mansion, right?

An artist is never appreciated in their own time. I hope your father apologized, at least.

kids say the darnedest things, elderly say the rudest. they have no filter sometimes and just blurt anything out. you just have to ignore those comments.

Your GrandPa in this case is your best critic. Art matures as the mind grows. Take that as a compliment, sit with him and savoy his own thoughts, paint a picture of his mind and see how inspired you would be. An Artist NEVER gets angry at the thoughts of his/her works, but draw inspiration from them all. This is why the brush goes from left to right and vice versa when you paint. Good luck in your aspirations and NEVER let the paint dry on your BRUSH. I wish I can be honoured to see your paintings. Take it from someone whose life is a Work of Art.

OP can take this as constructive criticism sure, but a mind's age doesn't always correspond with their physical one (hence songs like Young at Heart). Now the thing about inspiration for me is that sometimes you just need to let your own mind breathe, because drawing to much can develope standards, which should not exist in art. Maybe OP just likes to do his own thing, maybe they don't need inspiration from grampgramps or anyone for that matter. This opinion should be taken with a ******* heap ton of salt though, last attempt at art was fingerpainting 12 years ago.

Artists DO get angry/hurt at what others think about their work, and OP has a right to be upset. The grandpa offered nothing constructive about the painting, just insulted it, so OP can't even 'improve' their work (if they even need to). Also, art is subjective and doesn't mature as you grow older. Once someone's a fully grown adult, they are perfectly capable of knowing what their taste is, older people's views aren't more valid than younger people's views.

The elderly love stating their opinions, don't they? Especially if they are set on talking crap. Your painting was probably really good OP.