By connorcaffery - 18/09/2015 21:24 - Canada - Campbell River

Today, my girlfriend told me she has decided to become a stay-at-home mom for our dog. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 269
You deserved it 2 886

connorcaffery tells us more.

A little background info. I've been with my girlfriend for four years- She is not the type to make me work while she does shit all. We did have a long talk about this. She is just very stressed out as she is not here for 3 days out of the week because she makes a 2 hour commute to and from university every week and when she is here she works. She is just stressed and tired and feeling guilty about not spending enough time with our dog pepsi. She is not lazy, and certainly not a bitch just struggling keeping up with all aspects of her life right now. Thanks to all the nice and supportive comments we both appreciate them. :)

Top comments

blazerman_fml 17

Funny my dog is a stay at home mom for me!

Comments

leogachi 15

@12 Or her incredibly stretched hint that she wants a kid. Still, it's very rude of her to decide that her boyfriend should be providing for both of them without even discussing it.

Of course it's just an excuse to be lazy.

How about you read the follow up comment, also you don't know how old the dog is. The one thing that I really regretted after my dog died was that I didn't spend enough time with him.

101, If you paid attention to the comment numbers, you'd know that the follow up comment was made well after my comment. And I still think it's just an excuse to be lazy. They all have their excuses because they know "I don't want to work" isn't good enough, but that's what it comes down to. And yeah, a person can work for years and then decide they're sick of that shit. That's what happened with my ex husband. He was using the old, "I'm distraught over the death of my grandmother" excuse. I bought it for about a year before I realized it was just a cop out. It's been years since I divorced him, but last I heard he hasn't held a steady job since and is still freeloading off people. Seems to me that OP's girlfriend has been working very hard and she's come to a point where she just wants to go to school and not work. I have to say, "I want to spend more time with the dog" is a new one. I'm glad OP talked to his girlfriend and got that idea out of her head, though. Sorry for the other comment, BTW. I accidentally hit "validate" too early.

#105 But did you read it, this comment makes me even more convinced that did not. Nowhere in his comment did he say that he talked her out of it and also mentioned that she is not just lazy because she going to college and stressed out because of it. But seriously for all you know her dog could be dying and you don't care.

110, I did read it. You don't have to believe me. I read her excuses through her boyfriend's comment. They're bullshit. I've had old and dying pets myself. I didn't quit my job. Dogs don't live as long humans. That's a fact of life. If you can't handle the fact that you're going to outlive your dog, you shouldn't get one. Taking a week or two off is one thing. Completely throwing away a job and casting your livelihood on someone else is entirely another.

I mean, for goodness sake, it's not common for people to quit their job because their own mother is old and on the brink of death. How can you possibly think it's reasonable for someone to quit working because their dog is old? Grow up. Animals and people die everyday. Life goes on.

#115 First of all maybe a person wouldn't quit their job for their mother only because by then they probably have a substantial career (though if you refuse to take time off then there is something seriously wrong with you) but if you are in college you don't really have a career set up and if you quit a minimum wage job its not too big of a deal and its a lot less stressful since your professor does not care how little time you have to study for a major test. Second of all this hits very close to home for me because the only tragedy I have faced was when my dog who I had known for almost my entire life passed away, there were days when he was my only friend. If he was around today you could be real damn sure that would quit my job for him. lastly you say that if you can't handle the idea of your dog dying someday then you shouldn't get one but the thing about love is that it makes you happy and you never want to accept that it could end, that's why you cry when your relationship ends, that's why you tell your kids that their pet is in a better place, that's why when your friend commits suicide you sit in your room for days wondering what you could have done to save them even though it is already too late. Love is a powerful thing that comes in all shapes and sizes and while someday it will end it is always worth the ride.

Are you completely sure you read it? She didn't quit solely for the dog. She makes a two hour trip to college and a two hour trip home only to work x amount of hours and then come home and sleep less amount of hours and this has caused her to become really stressed out. And when she is home she pulls her weight. Not having a job does not make you lazy, and while the FML may suggest that OPs girlfriend quit for the dog, if you read the follow up, you would've figured out that the dog wasn't really a factor, it was more of a plus side to her choice. While I don't know OPs girlfriend, I'm pretty sure it was a tough choice on whether or not to quit her job. (it wouldn't be a easy choice for me at least) I'm pretty sure getting rid of your only income would be a hard choice to make.

Asinger06 1

Is this her secret way of saying, "Honey, I'm pregnant."

"I won't pay. I won't pay. No wa-a-a-a-a-ay! Now, now, why don't you get a job!" -The Offspring

So you can legitimately call her a bitch now? Never understood how people could see pets as their kids. Tbh it's kinda weird. Though i love my pets i would never think of them as my children...

#30, Are you seriously that stupid? Have you ever owned an animal? I would rather lose everything I have, even my life, if it meant getting my dog surgery if they needed it to live. People who have no loyalty to family disgust me.

leogachi 15

@36 You didn't mention the kids before, so implying that #33 would rather leave her children homeless isn't fair.

leogachi 15

@46 Right, so #33 shouldn't have assumed that the lady had children.

I think animals matter too. more than most. I'm a vegetarian. but in the defense the one girl said she would give anything. so it doesn't seem over the line to assume she'd be willing to risk children too.

leogachi 15

#60, If I had children then of course I would choose them. That being said, I would choose my dog over my house. My dog had saved me from countless burglars and people and for that I think it's only fair that I would owe her my life. I agree that pets are different than children in some aspects, like the fact that dogs can be left home alone whereas babies can't, but honestly if I was in the predicament of the mom about to lose her house, I would maybe take it a loan or borrow money from friends or family, and although I wouldn't leave my children on the street, I most certainly wouldn't just leave my dog to die, even if it meant losing some dignity for asking for money. I think that by adopting a dog you are promising to live it and take care of it no matter what, the same goes for a child. Let me ask you this: If that mother had 4 children and one of them needed expensive surgery but the mother needed that money to pay for her house, should she let that child die, like you are saying she should let the dog die?

Listen, "uhlexxiz" or whatever your name is, don't be stupid. It never mentions that have real children, therefore I did not assume she did. Don't assume I would choose those ridiculous things you've mentioned. If you had a child that needed surgery, would you let it die to keep your home? No? Exactly. By family, I meant the dog and any other animal. Animals are family just as much as children, parents, and everything else. And honestly, I would choose my animals over my family. Minus children. I have no children, but my sister does. And she even claims that is no more difficult to care for a child than an animal if you take care of that animal properly. So please, unless you have owned an animal properly and had some kind of experience with children, shut your uneducated face.

I'm stupid as ****? Wow.. I would choose my animals over my parents because my parents can handle themselves. I would not choose my animals over my children, as you seem to constantly assume even after I've pointed out that I would not. You're the pathetic one for resorting to insults. I am done wasting my time on idiots who have never owned an animal (or at least properly).

Tell her if she wants to be a free loader, she can move back in with her parents. Seriously, you need to put your foot down now or someday you're going to have a deadbeat wife.

leogachi 15

Tell her that you refuse to support her when she's fully capable of making her own money, and that it's not okay for her to make that decision on her own. A dog doesn't need a "stay at home mom".

wordygirl 11

This is just a nicer way of saying she doesn't want to work. Hope you have a kickass job or you'll have to show her the doggy door.