By Haitwun - 14/12/2015 07:29 - United States - El Monte

Today, my girlfriend tells me she missed her period this month. I felt excited until she said, "I will let you know the results of the paternity test." I was not aware we needed a paternity test. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 179
You deserved it 2 620

Same thing different taste

Comments

Why is there always one person on each FML asking "Who clicked 'you deserved it'?" Those are mostly bots and some few people who accidently clicked it, as well as some other people who click YDI on every FML they come across.

and trolls who just click it to be trolls or find the most ridiculous reasons they deserve it

I'm guessing she meant to say "pregnancy" test, since it sounds like she hasn't even taken one of those yet. Sometimes words get confused when you're stressed out.

That's what I was thinking too, she probably wouldn't even mention a paternity test until she was positive she was pregnant.

disposable934 1

Exactly what I was going to say. Give her a chance to clarify. And if she shows you a *pregnancy* test and calls it a "paternity" test, then you know she just confused the two words.

42, I don't think you understand how any of this works.

#15, As much as I admire your optimism, I think you're taking this a little too idealistically.

haha #42. "Doctor I'm pregnant, but I'm not sure if the baby is mine!"

42, not sure if making a joke or not but that was hilarious.

bakemono_fml 14

@ #77 sad to say I knew someone like this...she was pregnant and found out her boyfriend was cheating on her, she cried her eyes out afraid the baby wasn't hers...I'm afraid for that little boy's upbringing lol

at which point the first things you should buy the baby are a dictionary and a thesaurus. thats a pretty big difference.

She did say she 'missed her period' rather than got a positive test. I would've thought getting a pregnancy test would be her first priority rather than a paternity one. Personally I'd take a test before I even mentioned anything, because it's a big thing to drop on someone if you're not even entirely sure it's not your period being silly. But maybe she's young and needs encouragement (rather than her boyfriend freaking out over a word mix-up).

amileah13 26

Wow what a shitty way to announce your infidelity. "I'm pregnant, but I'm not sure if the baby is yours." *shrugs and walks away* I'm sorry op, hopefully things work out for you.

Railroader 16

How did she tell you? if it was by text might have been auto correct and she meant pregnancy test

I'm really hoping that she meant to say "pregnancy test" but got the terminology mixed up.

Just like everyone else here I'm hoping she wanted to say or text "pregnancy" test. Please let us know which was it and the results too if possible. I'm curious :) Btw if she really meant to say "pregnancy" test and it's positive than congratulations :)

I'd hold off on the congratulations. She might not be pregnant, and even if she is, she might not want to be. It's fine for OP to be excited, but he isn't the one who has to deal with the brunt of it.

Don't you think he would've asked for clarification??

45, but then it wouldnt be a fml. A lot of times ppl come back clarifying so this one (if he did) would go "i asked her if she meant pregnancy test and she said yes oops sorry" or something along those lines. Why would she need a paternity test when she doesnt even know if shes pregnant or not? And those results wont be out until the baby is born as it is dangerous to do in utero.

I think the first step is to do is pregnancy test

why caint OP's GF just make a sarcastic joke?

That could be the real story, too. I know I make a lot of jokes that are only funny to me when I'm stressed out.

A07 48

Why caint you use good grammar?

schreibergx93 19

Sounds like a custody battle if you are the father. Sorry OP!

No, not really since they're not married or divorced.

leogachi 15

@110 A father can file for custody if he isn't married to the mother. Although I think he should have automatic custody unless he's deemed an unfit parent before the birth.

But that would defeat the purpose of fml?! What? If people were normal?! /s