By M.A. - 25/02/2014 05:22 - United States - Prescott

Today, my girlfriend dumped me. This poses a problem, because her mother is my boss, and we work in an office on the first story of their apartment. Tomorrow I have to decide whether to quit my awesome and only job, or go to work for my now ex's mother in their house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 45 098
You deserved it 5 540

Same thing different taste

Top comments

fooltemptress 36

At least it's only the first story. That's a survivable fall if you get thrown out the window by either the ex or the mother ...

Unless your now ex-girlfriend is making it seem like you dumped her and creating drama, i don't see how this is a problem. Talk with your 'boss' outside of working time because work and home drama should not mix. It's not professional.

Comments

Have you tried getting your gf back? At least it'll save you some time till you find another job

Hey, your situation could be worse. It would have been more awkward had you been the one who dumped your girlfriend.

Yeah, her mom would find any excuse in the books to get rid of him!! Op:*coughs* Boss:"That's it! You're loud and disruptive. Your co-workers have complained that you cough too frequently. You're fired."

I'd quit. That sounds too awkward!You can always find a better paying job later.

Jobs, especially good paying ones, aren't always readily available. Quitting a job and assuming you can find a better paying one soon isn't always a good plan.

Yeah because quitting your job because it's too hard or awkward is exactly how to get ahead in life. The fact that people actually think like that is the reason why so many people in this country are lazy asses and don't want to work

Go to work an be professional. The two areas are not relelated. If she fires you...sue.

quit your job. there is nothing awesome about working for your ex's mother. unless she own a modeling agency and your job is to rub sunscreen on models in bikini.

there are chances of you getting back with her if u guys still get to meet!

if she is a good boss (which is hard to come by) she will keep personal lives out of the work place.

b00kn3rd 14

I know it's hard emotionally but it should not mean you've got to quit. As long as you can handle seeing your ex occasionally then you're good. I'd play it up by smelling all good and making sure I look good every day. I'd act like the happiest, non-Valium taking person in the world...then quit when she's interested again. (Pssst...look for another job in the meantime though.)

kotake 7

^most passive aggressive person in the world. Frankly OP, it shouldn't matter. Don't let your personal life interfere with your professional one. If you decide to lose this opportunity just because of the breakup, then where is the line drawn? Will you change your work route if your next ex-girlfriend lives along the way to your work? It just gets silly.... Simply keep showing up to work and keep doing the job you love. No one's saying you have to talk to your ex each day. And if there's the occasion you do, act professional. Not passive-aggressive shallow like #25. Simply ask her like she was any other employee or co-worker. If you're feeling that insecure about the situation, perhaps you should talk to your ex's mom and see not if she can solve the problem (there shouldn't be a problem) but can at least avoid you two meeting in the short-term (assuming she also works for her mom and will be in the office frequently or something like that). ALWAYS STICK TO POSITIVES. Don't say "idk how to work when your daughter's a bitch" or something stupid like that. Just say you feel somewhat awkward for the time being but really want to continue working since you like your job, your co-workers, and the environment. Show you're an adult and can handle issues like this with maturity.

b00kn3rd 14
b00kn3rd 14

Ok, you guys are seriously saying that you wouldn't continue making money while looking for another job? I forget sometimes that most of you don't have actual bills to pay... If he's working there then he should put on a good face. Be proud and not let them show it's got you down. I know he's a guy, but it's relationship 101. After a break-up you're supposed to move on, let them know what they're missing by being the best you, and then move on with your life.