This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Bride - 15/04/2017 18:00

Today, my future mother-in-law decided the plates used by our wedding venue were too ugly for her liking, and requested we buy new ones. For 400 guests. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 048
You deserved it 352

Top comments

Well it's a good thing it's not her wedding or she would be paying a fortune, OP.

Comments

Yeah, no. It's your wedding, not hers. And she doesn't have to come, I guess. I hate in-laws that pull that kind of crap.

healthcarechick 9

She wants to pay for them then more power to her as long as it's okay with you!

OP here. I obviously did nothing of the sort. We gave her a chance to tell us her opinion a year ago, when the venue could still be changed. She didn't bother to say anything then, so complaining one month before the wedding is pretty much useless. She'll just have to go through the embarrassment of have very ugly plates (I never knew plain white plates could be considered ugly... but hey, I guess everyone has different tastes).

Leiila_ 8

Hey OP. I'm so glad you didn't bow down to her. Sounds as if she may be a bit of an attention seeker. I hope this is a one off incident and not a sign of things to come. Congratulations though. I'm sure your wedding will be beautiful. Wish you a lifetime of love and laughter.

Bravo for standing your ground! Sorry her priorities are soooo screwed up. Hope she chills out and enjoys the day, or at least lets you and everyone else enjoy it. Congrats on your upcoming festivities! Ignore her negativity and live it up!

Glad you told her no. I was going to suggest that you agree to order new plates as long as she pays for them.

notsosupernanny 8

well then she better pay for the new ones or better yet, put up with the ones you have because it's not her wedding

Tell her "Okay if you pay for the wedding". when she says "of course not" tell her its your wedding and your money, not hers!

Arokthis 21

Please tell us you gave her a giant "**** NO" as quickly as you could.

saffy66 34

That's the thin edge one wedge. Don't give in; she's only just getting started. It's your wedding, not hers.

thatslifeiguess7 16

warring if she's all in your business now it's going to get worse my friend. my exes mom tried to get me to stop breastfeeding and his sisters were worse! Is she paying for this change of plates?

Tsukiyomi 16

Tell her to **** off. It's YOUR webbing OP, not hers.