By Mr.Viola - 20/06/2010 06:42 - United States

Today, my future father-in-law, a respectable New England gentleman, bought me an $8,000 viola and bow for our engagement. I was so surprised that I spit a glass of wine from a 60 year old bottle all over his custom-tailored suit. He was not happy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 937
You deserved it 13 821

Same thing different taste

Top comments

WannabeJew 0

Wow, I can't believe all the bitchy, whiny people. So what if his fiancee's family seems loaded? That seems to be the point. He's trying to fit in and he made a huge social gaffe. I get the feeling he's a bit overwhelmed and awed by the sudden shift in social status (hence, mentioning the money) and now he's completely embarrassed. Your snide comments only show your envy and pettiness, methinks. OP, that blows. I've had similar issues. My best friend's family is way above mine in social standing; we're 5 generations blue collar and his family errs on the white collar side. I've done some things I didn't realize were rude and he had to correct me later. Luckily, his mom and stepdad are understanding. People seem to forget the relativity of FMLs. This is an FML for him, even if others believe it's only his whining. He was surprised and acted reflexively. It's not like he intentionally did something stupid.

Comments

yagurlteeteexoxo 0

op sucks to b u. but ur father in law is balllllin

Mentioning how expensive and extraordinary everything is makes you sound kind of snobbish..

No, I think that was the point. All of these luxurious things that scream refinement and dignity and she responds by spitting by surprise. In a normal, modest family it would probably be laughed off but I'm sure the snots thought she was a barbarian for it. She sounds like she's not used to this lifestyle and is embarrassed by her response. Also, I highly doubt anyone snotty and prestigious has the humility to post on FML.

Yeah I thought about that too. But it kind of doesn't matter that his suit was custom-tailored, and the wine 60 years old and blahblah, since he's apparentely so wealthy that custom-tailored suits and 60 year old wines are normal to him. So the damage is equally if it were another family.. hmm, dunno if it's understandable, at least I get what I'm trying to say :D

L00000000000000L 0

wat a douche..... couldnt u atleast not spit it on him??? dumbass !!!!!!!

theres nothing 'gentleman' about new England.

That very much depends on where you go in New England. Worcester, no. Wellesley, yes.

sloop_fml 0

your a ******* moron and you write like a child. respectable new England gentleman? WTF. who says that? next time spit a bottle of napa silver oak. if you must act like a child and toss material things and numbers around as if your life has been totally ******, at least pick a $120 bottle you stupid bitch. now get back to your polo match

But #42 seems to think the op changed his gender when he posted the FML.

boatkicker 4

You both forgot to capitalize the "new" in New England. :-P

41, If you're going to insult somebody's grammar, I would recommend you spell using proper grammar first.

sourgirl101 28

So you're a spitter.(; Sounds like you're marring into a very snooty family. At least the dad knows how to give great gifts.

Now buy him a $8,000 dollar suit to make it even!

tboudre 0

obviously, the family is loaded, you money grubbing bitch, and you're just bragging on this FML that you tricked the son into marrying you trailer park ass into the family. I'm sure they're not worried in the least bit about pouring that wine down the drain or burning that suit.

quinz 4

I like how you assume it's the girl who's poor and the guy who's rich. It says otherwise if you look closely. Also, judging people by their money? Lame. On a different note, I'm totally jealous of your $8000 viola. Not that I play the viola, but I'm still jealous.

Sexist and classist. What a fine human being you are.

45 never said anything sexist but I agree about the classist thing.

It was his assumption the OP was a gold digging female, which seems a sexist stereotype to me.

Hey hey hey, calm down :) Let's not assume things and be respectful of others, yes? Don't get worked up, just relax; this is just a site to share stories