By falconjade - 06/12/2013 17:28 - Canada - Bowmanville

Today, my friend's dog got hit by a car. I was the only one not in shock, and had to drag the poor thing off the road, then comfort a hysterical friend while the driver verbally abused us and demanded we pay for the repairs to his car. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 953
You deserved it 2 878

falconjade tells us more.

OP here! The dog got out when the old man who rents out a room in my friends house - though he'd been repeatedly warned not to - let the dog out. The dogs not very well-trained and does not come when you call him, which is why we keep him inside except for when he goes on walks, on a leash. We had all been getting ready for our schools semi formal so we ran out into the cold in bare feet and dresses while we tried to make sure the dog didn't run away. He was running back towards our friends house when the car hit him. My friend lives beside a public school so the dog was hit in a school crossing zone, so there was no reason for the driver to be going fast enough to not be able to hit the brakes in time, but evidently he was. Fortunately the dog is a massive German Shepard. When he got hit, there was a terrifying bang followed by horrid whimpering. We all thought he was going to die. I'm trained in first aid and checked for injuries on the dogs body, and he seemed fine, except for a scrape on his eyebrow, so I took him back to the house. The bumper of the car was knocked clean off and it seems the dog has a concussion but he will live, but the driver keeps showing up to my friends house, who can't afford a vet bill, let alone the repairs cost.

Top comments

CamdenMarie 6

Did you direct him to a separate area in which he could go **** off?

I think that if he keeps demanding, then your friend should call the cops. He's the one who was driving so fast, and so not only can he be charged for speeding, and harassment, but also be forced by the court to pay for the dog's bills. As they say, the pedestrian always has the right of way, even if it's a dog!

Comments

All of you people voting YDI, how does OP deserve it? Just a simple question I thought I might ask.

I was wondering the same thing. OP did nothing wrong. It wasn't even his dog. He was a good friend and helped his buddy out during a traumatic event. He deserves nothing but respect.

ThatFancyPenn 18

Because most people in the world think it is OP's fault that their friend let the dog go onto the road to get hit.

Probably because if the dog got hit, it probably wasn't on a leash. Poor thing, but the owners should've been more responsible. OP is innocent, though.

I guess they just want their Judgmental badge.

You have no idea how many times I have hit "You deserve it" on accident.

#100 But then you can at least hit the "I agree..." button to cancel them out!

Did the dog survive? I almost (almost- im an animal person) hope it didn't cuz if it caused that much damage to the car then it would have been in unbearable pain

That's like saying that if someone gets into a serious car accident you'd rather them be dead then survive and be taken to a hospital to get better. All because you didn't want them to feel pain. cry me a ******* river.

repairs to the car? damn that must have been a big dog. why do people act like that when its an animal? if it was a human they hit...

Because it is an animal, not a person. An animal does not have the ability to reason, people have forgotten that over time.

So the lives of animals are less worthy in your mind because they don't have the same ability to reason as most humans have? By that logic we shouldn't give a damn if small children or the extremely mentally challenged get run over by cars. They may be human, but damn it, they lack those reasoning skills.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
ninjuh_wingman 29

The friend isn't responsible for the damages to the car. The driver hit the dog not the other way around.

iglesia 11

You could be a little more empathic... And why the ydi? OP didn't do anything but comfort their friend

askullnamedbilly 33

I can absolutely understand the driver's reaction. Small children, pets or anything that's stationary and not protected by a few layers of metal do NOT belong on a road. When you buy a pet, you take responsibility for it, which includes making sure that it somehow sticks to our laws and rules, even though it may not be able to understand them. Has anyone of you considered what kind of danger he was in? He could've swerved to avoid hitting the dog, or lost control of the car and crash into a wall. He could be dead. For some reason, OP's friend decided not to pay attention to their pet and let it run free, and a human being could've DIED. I personally wouldn't be pissed about damages, but I'd definitely bitch out the owner as well.

And here I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice

Nope they're actually bitches who just pretend to be as sweet as their maple syrup.

I would of said"Here's your payment, BITCH!!!" and kicked him where the sun doesn't shine.

Borrow a neighbour's dog and pay him in dog shit, smeared over his windshield.

How is this a fyl? You didn't lose your dog & your car didn't get damaged. The driver should have had a little sympathy. Was the dog not on a leash? Did the dog die? I hope your friend is okay.

80skid 15

Having to drag your friend's dead or injured dog off the road and then listen to the dog's hitter scream at you while you try to comfort your friend is pretty much grounds for not having a good day.

tell him your call him an ambulance once your done showing him how the dog feels

Not everyone thinks a dog is equal to a human, and trust me the animal's owner is liable for those damages. That being said, the driver should have handled the situation with a bit more sensitivity.