By estrelladam - 08/03/2016 20:52 - United Kingdom - London

Today, my father complained to me about his lack of money. He makes twice as much as me, and doesn't pay rent, electricity or water. FML
I agree, your life sucks 18 760
You deserved it 1 295

estrelladam_fml tells us more.

estrelladam_fml 1

Hi, it's OP there. I'd like to give you more details because I always like to know what's behind a story. I didn't register before today, and in fact never thought i'd be published. My father doesn't live with me, fortunately. He lives in a house divided in two. The other half is occupied by his brother, who pays the bills (and isn't very happy about it!). He is retired and has no debt. He doesn't pay for the house insurance either, and managed to get his taxes lowered, though he still complains about it. He buys a lot of books and newspapers, which is fine for me, because after all, he does what he wants with his money. But I'm bothered because he doesn't pay for anything in the house, which is deteriorating. Every time I try to talk to him about he complains that he has no money and that I don't understand. It's very frustrating for me because I have to pay for myself everything he's not, and I earn far less. Besides, as he lives far from me, I have to pay for travel and accommodation every time I visit him. Well, that's the story behind my FML. Thanks for your comments, some made me laugh

Top comments

whatarethisss 23

Some people are never satisfied.

Comments

SailorSolaris 43

I only make $700 a month or so, but I'm happy due to being able to afford the basics. I pay all my own bills, except rent. My mom is kind enough to pay that. Your dad, OP, just sounds like a spoiled brat with the complaining.

What state are you living in amd how many roommates do you have that you can survive on 700 a month minus rent?(I am in Northern Delaware, by the MD/PA/NJ line) My bills are 2500 a month and I don't have cable, or any luxuries at all, not even a magazine subscription, no health insurance and a 16 year old car. However, I own my place, live alone and have no children or boyfriend, I'm 27, but I am a trade student who will be working as an Electrical Apprentice in about 2 months.

Some people need to be humbled. Swap pay with him for a week

"Who is rich? He that can live within his means." Your dad needs to learn that if you make more, you SAVE more. If you start spending more, you'll never have enough money. FLY for having to listen to him whine about it.

My dad is the same way, constantly complains about money, although he isn't as bad as this situation, because he does have financial responsibilities. However, he makes a lot of money, at the age of 37, he makes more in a month than some people make in a year, which I very lucky for his age. If he, my mom, or me, get in a fight, 9 times out of 10 that's what it's about and it's annoying because he often favours himself. Spending on anything he doesn't want to is always "spending too much" or "too much money," but if it's for him, no matter how much it costs, it's fine, there's no complaints. I find the best way to deal with it, is to show him his hypocritical behavior and remind him of his situation. I constantly remind my dad of how much he makes and that he is in a very fortunate financial position in life, which a lot of people don't have and will never get. I also point out when he's being unfair or inconsistent. Like when he complains or puts off spending money on a necessity for my sister and I, which often costs less, but is fine paying thousands of dollars on a new fridge, or computer desk, or gym memberships.

My father is like that too. he wouldn't even buy my mom a candy bar that cost $1 but then 2 hours later came home with a brand new TV and a pair of shoes for himself that he didn't need, then turning around that same night complaining he needs money for gas or lunch for the work week. Sometimes it's not about being careful with money or wanting someone to take responsibility. In some cases, it's pure selfishness.

My dad is like that, too. My entire life he was always like "We don't have much money, you know!"... Yet they always had brand new cars, custom-built new houses in a higher-end neighbourhood, retired early, etc. Some people just worry about money regardless of what they have. My parents both grew up poor, so that's probably why they are inclined to be more careful with it but you think that would make them realize how well off they are now.

10showgirl 16

You can go through savings faster than you think...

Having a ton of debt means you are broke no matter your paychecks, if you have more debt than you bring in in a single month you're in essence poor. Who knows what kind of debt your dad has made.

I don't really understand why you think him not paying those three things means he doesn't have other debt or bills to pay. I don't pay any of those things but I still have debt and other bills. Does he have a mortgage? Is he paying insurance for his house? His car? Is he still making payments on a car? Credit cards? If rent, electricty, and water were the only bills anyone ever had to pay, then yes, we would all have more spending money.

This is something I have had occur to me. I think the people that say it think it sounds empathetic when they tell you how bad they have it. You can tell them you're homeless, unable to eat, and drowning in debt, and people will say dumb shit like, "Oh, me too, man," even if they're living large by comparison. It's irksome.