By The hopeful - 26/12/2016 08:29

Today, my ex-boyfriend called me. I was really excited, thinking he wanted to get back together. He just wanted to get back the Christmas present he gave me before we broke up so that he could return it for cash. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 307
You deserved it 1 023

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Once a gift is given you can't take it back. I say keep it.

infinite Secret 3

If you don't want to keep it, then you should sell it and keep the cash for yourself.

Comments

Like #1 said, I personally get over someone much easier when I erase everything that reminds me of them from my life. Plus, it'll be a funny story to tell later that just proves him to be the dick he sounds like he is. Best wishes!

I can't really say I speak from experience but I'd hope that it would at least be a potential solution for OP. I just feel like the memories associated with the "gift" would be less than actually getting rid of it and perhaps helping to move on from someone who doesn't seem very nice much quicker :P

neuronerd 28

Donate it. That way, you don't have it as a reminder, you're not being a pushover by giving it back, and then he gets to look like a real ass if he wants to take something away from the less fortunate.

mariri9206 32

He already looks like an ass by trying to take the gift back. He would like MORE of an ass to take something away from the less fortunate.

I would think that if the item reminds you of him (and you are trying to get past him), then returning the item would be for the best. If you do not care, then keep it. Just be prepared to deal with his whining.

all the proof you need to know that he's not worth taking back.

If it was last Christmas, he's a dumbass because no store is going to take anything back a year later.

Reality_bites 14

Personally I think I'd give it or send it back, especially if it's something of low value. Simply because then you stop any potentially whiny calls from him in the future. And that will make it easier to move on from him.

Good thing you don't have to give it back by any binding or legal obligations. Not saying you should use it as some leverage over him either, but it sounds like hes the one who wanted to end it, so screw him. Hindsight is 20/20 if he's that broke or petty.

it doesn't sound like you have much self respect for yourself. that may be why your relationship didn't work out.

This one depends. Let's suppose boyfriend spent $200 on something and she intentionally waited until afterwards to tell him she's thinking of seeing other people, then changed her mind. It's about as likely as him giving her a gift, expensive enough that it's worth the trouble, right before dumping her. We need more info.

I wouldn't say it's as likely. It's more likely that he initiated the breakup, considering the fact that OP wants to get back together.