By Mills - 18/01/2010 11:49 - United States

Today, my estranged, alcoholic father decided to tell me I have a sister. After 30 mins of him describing how beautiful she is and how much we look alike and how she has lived one town away from me her entire life, I was excited to the point of tears. Too bad she died a year ago. Thanks dad. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 246
You deserved it 2 339

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Ouch. I wonder why he'd even bring it up. That's just going to hurt, rather than help in any way..

Wow! That sucks. You should go into detail about how you just found out that your pregnant, how excited you are that he's going to be a grandfather and then tell him you aborted it. That'll make you about even.

Comments

Ouch. I wonder why he'd even bring it up. That's just going to hurt, rather than help in any way..

Umm.. he didn't tell her maybe? (EDIT: that was for #1 sorry)

There's always the possibility that a secret like that's gonna get out. At least she can deal with her grief now rather than later. Hopefully, now wasn't the worst possible time.

when he's drunk tell him there's a unicorn in the yard

sgomfg 1

I have a similar story, my alcoholic/substance abusive father came to me at age 8 to tell me that I had a sister while i was doing my homework.

hes an alcoholic... maybe he was a bit out of it?

thecirclingskies 0

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Because he had how many years to tell her and have the sisters meet. DUH. He never did, and so now the chance for them to meet is lost.

So OP lost a sister she never had? How is that bad. I mean, think about it, if she had met the sister a year earlier and then she had died. That would have been unnecessary pain.

Adorable_fml 0

White - Really, pal? Her father kept a sister away from her for years, and just now decides to tell her, and describes how amazing she is, and now OP is uber excited to meet her and have someone to bond with .... and then bam. she's dead. 'Course that hurts, dummy. & Yes, meeting her and having her die would have hurt more, but she would have at least got to meet her own sister.

Moonstarmist 0

Just because she didn't meet her doesn't mean it won't hurt. =/ I've got a half-sister out there and I'd be devastated to find out she died a year before I met her.

I'm pretty sure the sarcastic thanks is because he waited until after her sister had died to let her know she had one. I'd be pissed too.

Also it sounded like he told her that she had died at the end of describing the sister, which had gotten her hopes up about meeting her.

#107 and #109 learn to spell "you're" before you tell somebody they are stupid.

DNA3694 0

Wow. That reeeally sucks! I'm actually very sorry:( how terrible:( FYL

Wow! That sucks. You should go into detail about how you just found out that your pregnant, how excited you are that he's going to be a grandfather and then tell him you aborted it. That'll make you about even.

Or, upon hearing the words "I'm pregnant" he could get so pissed at her that he beats her. Depending on her age.

hannahcrogers131 4

Your father sure knows how to get drunk. I wouldn't invite him to any more parties. That really has to suck though, FYL in a huge way.

Maybe it's because he's an alcoholic and it's really you he's on about and he doesn't realize you're you?

deathburger13 0

Anyone that clicks YDI is an asshole I'm sorry :(