By ninjakomodo - 13/11/2012 21:16 - United States

Today, my English professor accused me of plagiarizing a poem I submitted, because she'd read it online earlier that day. The poem was mine; I posted it after writing it for her class, and even after logging into the site to prove it, she reported me to the school. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 184
You deserved it 2 750

ninjakomodo tells us more.

OP here, just for all of the people talking about self plagiarism, I checked. My university does not have that clause anywhere within the rules. I read through the entire thing and even checked with the legal department. I'm sure they will put it in after this. I have gone to the dean and they have forced the teacher to drop the case and give me the grade I deserved. They also decided, due to suggestion of the department head, that the department head himself will be grading everything that I submit to that teacher for the rest of the semester, and that I will not be able to take classes with that teacher anymore. I'm sure they will be evaluating their plagiarism rules more, and putting in a clause for self plagiarism, but we will see what happens. Luckily, I only have 2 more semesters there before I'm out of that school for good.

Top comments

Sometimes teachers are not as bright as you expect them to be.

What a bitch, I'm sure the head of your department will believe you

Comments

Count your blessings OP, when you will prove it to the principle, she's gonna look like a dumb bitch and she will have deserved it.

The amount of "Principle" errors/ "Principal" corrections around here are too damn high!

You do realize that there are a lot of people who check this website and for whom English is not their mother tongue? Guess what, I'm one of them :)

zingline89 18

I don't think she stanza chance in hell of actually getting you in trouble

You are well versed in all things poetic. Haiku'd you go wrong with puns?

I think this may be the best pun I've read on here...

There was no rhyme or reason in her accusations.

If verse comes to verse, you can make a case to the school administration, because the teacher's actions have neither rhyme nor reason.

PrimeStarscream 30
cooterpie 11

Report that bitch for being a ****.

olpally 32

She's stupid... You should say this::: "hi, I'm earth, have we met yet?" Dumb teacher:: "no, I don't think so." Tommy boy reference.

zingline89 18

Oh! I can reserve you a flight coming BACK from Chicago at 5:55. Does that help?

olpally 32

Rule of thumb for college English classes, from your local former English major: Always wait to post written assignments until the assignment is over and has been graded. Although you wrote it yourself and for your class, and although it's unfortunate, when you post it online before your teacher officially sees it, it's considered self-plagiarism which is still against academic law. A kid in my school got in huge trouble for doing the same thing and almost got expelled from the university. It's stupid; I agree, but unfortunately that's how the system works.

kittycat2007 18

Seriously?! This is real? I guess i shouldn't be surprised with the idiocy of this world....smh.

I can see why if it's from like a year ago and the kid wants to be lazy. But damn in the same week maybe even same day, that's ****** up.

No, it is very real. We were warned about self-plagarism as well. It is not something you even want to attempt, because you will always get caught.

I don't see why that would legitimately be a rule. It's not just dumb, it's so ridiculous it's almost morally wrong. If you can prove you wrote it it shouldn't be a problem.

How does one plagiarize their self? That doesn't make sense to me...

Yeah, once you post it online it's considered published. In the academic world, teachers don't want things that have already been published. They want to see your fresh work before anyone else does. You're also, in most cases, not allowed to use work you've written prior to the class for an assignment unless you have the teacher's permission. This all falls under self-plagiarism; although OP posted the assignment after writing it for the current class, there's no way for the teacher to know when it was written unless it was dated. If there was no date physically on the assignment (not the date it was posted, but the date it was written), for all the teacher knows, the student could've written it the previous semester for something entirely different, and it wouldn't be fresh, original work. Without the teacher's permission to post it, this was not okay in the academic world.

Not to mention, even if it was dated, OP could've slapped a date on it right before he/she posted it. There's no real way to prove when the assignment was written unless OP pulls it up on the computer and shows when the document was created.

kittycat2007 18

I'm not arguing here, I'm sure its real but my question is how? the definition of plagiarism is to use someone else's work and claim it as your own. Self-plagiarism is a misnomer and shouldn't be possible. ITS STILL YOUR OWN WORK!

It's not plagiarism in the sense that you're stealing someone else's work, but technically you're "stealing" from yourself in order to get out of actually doing the work for the assignment. I'm not arguing what OP did here; I'm sure that this was just one of those unfortunate cases where you get in trouble because of a stupid technicality. However, if he decided he'd be "sneaky" and use a poem he'd previously written to get out of coming up with a fresh one for the class, then it's considered cheating, which is really what plagiarism is a form of, as well. Yes, it might would be his original work, but he didn't come up with new material for the assignment, thus he cheated which is still breaking the rules.

JustStella 28

Thank you for clarifying this. As moronic as this is, it is completely true. I have a poem I wrote for class and I waited until my teacher gave it back to me and I saw the grade in the gradebook before posting it online. To me that was just being extra cautious, and now that I see there is an actual rule concerning this I'm glad I did.

#22 you beat me; I just said almost the same thing to #2. And it's not because of the "stupidity of the world", it is to prevent someone from just digging into their old homework and pulling something out and reusing it; it is so the student continues writing new ideas and expanding and whatnot. I think it's silly, but it is still against the academic contract.

I love what happened in this thread. A nice discussion about unfair rules, and I even learned a little about academic standards. Thank you everyone.

If only everyone is as grateful as you. I posted a similar explanation to #2 and I got downvoted while someone saying I was wrong got upvoted. Oh well.

It is nice to read an actual conversation instead of the mud slinging you usually see. Not to mention most of the grammar and spelling was correct so my eyes and brain were especially pleased! Thank You!!!

However stupid some people may argue it to be, I believe that the self plagiarism policy is a necessary evil. If it were not in place, you'll be writing twenty articles talking about the same thing over and over again - new ideas will not flourish. Shame that OP did not familiarise himself with the plagiarism policies, which are fundamentally important if he were (and I highly suspect so) in the humanities academic world.

122, I thought about that after making my post and it was too late to edit. Thanks for throwing that in there!

kittycat2007 18

Go to the head of the english department. If she is the head of the department then go to the dean. Don't just sit on your ass! Try to get in front of this.

Did you not sign your name on the poem? And if you did, and your teacher still thinks you plagiarized then she's obviously a jealous idiot.

I wrote this myself Here is the site to prove it You asinine bitch

Old Spice Sub-Nasal Hair Invigorator! It makes you become a man.

CharresBarkrey 15

31 - You are hands down my favorite commenter on this site.

I approve of this comment, and I also confirm that I hold no bias towards this situation.

BlackBlazeCobra 16

Your English teacher is a moron. I hope you get justice.