By BAMN2187 - 31/12/2012 03:51 - United States

Today, my dad asked me when I was going to start looking for a job. Jokingly, I told him next year. He got pissed, started to yell, then realized Tuesday is New Year's Day and grounded me for "being a dumbass." FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 978
You deserved it 9 050

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Rei_Ayanami 18

I always hate when people make this joke, and they do it every year.

Comments

SApprentice 34

Hopefully he'll realize later that he overreacted. Let him cool off and he might 'forget' that he grounded you. Just go about things like normal and with any luck he won't actually enforce the probation period. You should totally get a job though. Lazy bum. Tsk Tsk.

I understand, you'd think sitcom humor could be transferable to the real world.

TheRandomIndian 17

It can be really funny if you have good timing I think OP just chose the wrong time to make that joke

kathryn14 19

Well, let's hope you're not grounded until next year..

Never joke with good old dad. They always get ya back when you make them look stupid.

Guess you will have to pit that job search off a little longer.

pheebs314 17

I made the joke that I was grocery shopping until next year the other day. The guy looked at me like I was crazy til he realized it was only a week. :D

nycwrestler 17
80skid 15

Wow. That was almost an overreaction.

perdix 29

Why do you think you are entitled to Monday off? If you don't have a job, every day is vacation, so start pounding the pavement at every opportunity and quit being a lazy parasite.

80skid 15

Calm down, now. The keyword in this FML was "jokingly".

perdix 29

Lots of FMLs these days are caused by OPs doing things "jokingly." Whether it's cheating or being a drain on your family's finances, some topics are not particularly good subjects for humor with certain audiences. I doubt the dad would be grilling the OP about looking for work if it were easy for him to support his lazy ass.

skyenoelle 15

Wow, that was surprising. I think that one of the first times I've seen such a serious response from you. I agree with what you're saying; too many people who aren't employed think that a good excuse is that the economy is in turmoil and there's no use looking for one. Either way, I'm pretty sure that this is just a kid, considering the fact that he's still young and ignorant enough to give smart ass answers, and he still gets grounded as a punishment for it.

Mackay92 14

i really ******* despise people like you take it you have had a job all your life

Interestingly enough as an employer that hires a great deal of teenagers I can tell you the tax payees are better off with them being a drain on their parents. Companies get tax credits for people with no previous job experience. So you are actually paying their wages for about 6 months.

perdix 29

#44, usually, yes, but when I didn't, I was busting my ass to find the next one.

TheDrifter 23

Love how the lazy parasites of society turn up the hate on anyone who suggests they should get a job, perhaps move out of their parents house before age 30.

juturnaamo 29

Plus, teens are taking jobs that adults might need to actually support their families. Why would Sears hire 1 full time employee when they can hire 2 teens part time and not have to pay any benefits?

It's true that they would hire the part time workers first, but it's not always that simple. If a teenager is leaving their house to get out of an abusive or otherwise toxic situation, they would need work too. I've been looking for a job for months, and they aren't easy to come by, for anyone.

Then you say "I learned from the best"