By reb - 19/04/2014 17:25 - United Kingdom - Northolt

Today, my crazily elitist parents were so desperate to get me to dump my fiancé that they threatened to divorce if I didn't. When I told them to go ahead, they bitched me out for being disrespectful. FML
I agree, your life sucks 49 440
You deserved it 4 185

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Omfgitsmia 15

Sounds like it's time to start loving them from a distance.

At least you stood up for yourself. It's your life, and your decision. They have no right to demand such things.

Comments

Honestly I would not let them try to run your life. Good for you OP for standing up to them and I would move a good distance from them of they really don't like your fiance that much. They can deal with it.

Not so fun when their plan goes wrong

Be helpful then, go and get them the divorce paper work.

Or get an axe and start splitting stuff in half. You know to save them time and lawyer fees.

I'm 13, and don't know what elitist means. TELL MEH.

1. go to Google 2. type "define elitist" Bam. You've just found the definition. Honestly, kids/teens these days have no reason to not know the meaning of words!

rocker_chick23 27

You're old enough to know that there is a magical website called google or you can use a dictionary

If you have the time to post this comment you have the time to google it.

#38 your icon represents my reaction to this initial comment to the T.

Was I an exceptional 13 year old? Bc I've known what this word means for a looooong time. This child can't really be so stupid...

It means her fiance is probably a deadbeat and a loser who has latched onto her as a free meal ticket and her parents think that she deserves better.

Kids born in 2000 are posting comments on FML...FML

No it doesn't you have no facts about the Fiancé to back this theory up, some parents are just jerks to the person there son/daughter gets involved with when they're not rich, devout or perfect carbon copies of what they want their don/daughter to marry.

Thatguy334 7

It's called a dictionary, use it.

46: You are quite ironically being an elitist. An individual is not stupid for not knowing the meaning of a word which you just happened to have known when you were his/her age.

You sound like an elitist right now. Huh. Thats pretty Ironic.

Though your parents should have never threatened divorce, it might be time to listen to their reasoning. Understandably there's that unwritten code that in-laws for some reason can't get along, but what if it's more than that?

If they threatened divorce to get their daughter to leave the one she plans to spend her life with, it would be appropriate to say they are nutty people. OP shouldn't listen to people who are that insane.

Or from what it sounds to me that was a last ditch effort. I figured I would get voted down for saying how I feel, but from my experience parents have their reasoning. Especially when it comes to relationships. All the kid sees is love the parents see other things.

Like I said before you've read enough FML's to know by now that some parents are just crazy evil

Thatguy334 7

I'm pretty sure they would have supplied op with the reasons if they actually had any rather than threatening her they've get divorced.

wow, those folks have got to have problems with long term relationships.

pwnman 33

Their willing to end their own relationship? What?

rocker_chick23 27

Time to sever ties with them. Trust me OP, it will only get worse. My in-laws were the same way.