By Anonymous - 25/10/2015 03:39 - United States

Today, my cousin got hired after six days of job-hunting. I graduated from university six months ago and haven't even scored a single interview; he's a deadbeat junkie who just got out of prison after doing time for armed robbery. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 883
You deserved it 2 837

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Your probably looking for a good job in your field that's why. Sorry to tell you this but you should get a low skilled job like cashiering while searching for the real one.

Don't sell yourself short! I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Comments

Don't shoot too high, OP. Start out smaller and see where that takes you. Good luck!!

You need to start small before you can rise. Get a temp job so you can get some income while searching. Employment companies work well too, it's how some people in my family got a job

OP, go out and meet people. Do things other people usually don't, because apparently every job opening has about a hundred applicants. Keep going! We support you! :)

If you really want to beef up your employee appeal, you could always rob a convince store or two, shoot up, and then shoot for the stars!

I could tell you were an American before I even read it at the top. This describes the American job and education systems.

If the fact we're voracious in job hunting, aiming for an amazing job, and refusing to give up, then yes, that is the American way. Smh. Our education system is amazing and though were in a recession and top-paying jobs are hard to come by (since so many qualified applicants are applying) doesn't mean it's crap.

Our education system is awful. It's all focused on testing and doesn't actually teach students basic problem solving and critical thinking. They force a bunch of unnecessary information onto students, make them study for hours memorizing, then they regurgitate it onto a test and move on to the next lesson. So much of the stuff we spend learning in high school is useless, and most people don't even remember much of it.

^- the high school education system may not be great but I was talking about university. As for high school, it is a pathway to higher education, not career training. The typical high school is not a career school, which is why some of the information is useless. Just like prerequisites in college, high school gives the basic knowledge to build upon. If it's not used and built upon, then of course it's going to become useless and forgotten. Just because we don't use every single thing we were taught doesn't mean we don't subconsciously use it daily. I may not use algebra everyday but I can calculate my bills and know if I'll be able to pay them or not. Or when I rearranged my furniture and used my tape measurer, that some aspect of trigonometry didn't come into play. This comment is using English and computer skills. Pay close attention to everything you do daily, and had grade school not given you some of things it had, would you still be as advanced as you are now? . . . Our grade school education is behind in comparison to more advanced countries, but I don't believe it is completely useless and crap.

Don't kid yourself MrsPegg our education system is severely lacking and spends an alarming amount of resources on sports. Schools are forced to market athletics to try and compensate for the loss in funding. It's a dangerous game and in the end we all loose. Schools used to train people in technical skills but even in those fields the testing requirements and academic over watch have ruined our system's ability to train somebody to be a technician in anything. The system is broken and the results speak for themselves. Companies are even scared to hire college graduates now and are holding out for people with masters degrees because they don't trust someone with a simple BA to be capable, and to be honest I don't blame them.

As an American college graduate, America's education system is a ******* joke. High school is based solely on testing and sports, college is based on income and sports.

Yes, our education system is flawed and convoluted, but I still believe it isn't *totally* useless. You make it seem like we have the worst education system in the world... Maybe my experience was better than others and I can admit I view it differently. If you disagree you're entitled to that, I am simply sharing my point of view. Point me to some research; I'll gladly educate myself on the topic of our horrific education system.

tantanpanda 26

You have to put in some effort to get something out of school. In HS, you had the option of taking AP/Dual/IB classes that related to what you wanted to do in higher education. Now, did you take those opportunities? Maybe if you bitches didn't think about partying all the time, you might have gotten something out of your education. Ok, you didn't do well in HS for the reasons stated above and you went to a sub par university. Of course you're going to be salty as **** when you can hardly find a job anywhere. If not that, your GPA was probably lacking. You get what you put in. You can't go to college, scrape by with Cs and expect to have jobs wrapped around your fingertips. Damn entitlement these days.

106 I took and passed 3 AP courses finished with a 4.2 GPA in HS and graduated with Honors in college while involving myself in various academic extracurricular activities. I would say I made the most of it. Do you still assume I didn't work hard for my education? That being said you pointed out a very important problem. Our education system does not really encourage critical thinkers and is contributing to the very problem you seem so upset about. Kids are constantly encouraged to memorize facts and do well on tests rather than really use information.

MrsPegg go to the NCES website and let the results speak for themselves.

Probably time to change your tactics -- position type you're applying for, your supporting materials, something. Maybe land something small to pay the bills while you look for the right fit.

mads_nicole 19

Sometimes it takes a while to find good work. Also, sometimes you spend years in school for something that you love and wind up having to get a job in a different field because your degree offers nothing. It really is a tricky situation.

Sure, he may have been hired. . . but what calibre job has he acquired? I am sure you are looking for one that allows you to fully utilize your skill set and as such, may require some searching.

That's irrelevant. The kind of job you're looking for is completely different than the kind of job your brother was looking for. Anyway, if you've been looking for a job for 6 months and haven't scored a single interview yet, then it seems you're not selling yourself properly. You should tailor your covering letter and CV to answer the job description. What will your responsibilities be? What makes you the right person to do whatever the job requires you to do? Always provide an answer to the job description in your covering letter and in your CV. Sell yourself.

See this is what bugs me. People complain about not finding a job but they really aren't looking. If they really wanted a job they would be applying everywhere instead of applying to a few places and complaining they never get hired

I put in 60 applications after I graduated college. Just looking for work anywhere. I got one callback.

I have been applying to every job that I am physically capable of doing. News flash there are tons of people with waaaay more experience also looking for work. And hiring is going to pick up soon with the holidays coming up.