By rebeccaremily - 04/10/2009 07:03 - Canada

Today, my computer stopped working. Me, the technology challenged one, decided to do a system recovery on it hoping that I could make it better. Turns out, system recovery means deleting all the files off the computer including family photos, music and assignments and starting fresh. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 652
You deserved it 54 713

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YOU NEVER PUSH BUTTONS WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IT WILL DO! Crap! That is one of the first lessons you learn as a child! Didn't your mom tell you not to touch things that you don't know about? Did you not pay attention?

Comments

DoingItWrong 0

Your files and pictures are still there! You need to get a hold of someone who is technically savvy and have them run file restoration software on your computer. Something Like Pandora or a Linux coded application on a System Restoration Live CD of Knoppix. It will likely cost you some money to restore your "deleted" files, but if they are really important to you then you can have them recovered by a professional. Until then, stop using your computer. Every time power is applied to your computer there is a chance that the system swap files or general use files will overwrite the deleted portions of the hard drive. Good luck, and get a hold of an experienced professional next time if you are uncertain of what you are doing.

You, OP, being both technologically and grammatically challenged, should both find some way to handle your computer AND go back to English class.

That's what happened to me in the last two weeks! But I fixed it. [:

I would recommend a professional to look at it now, and next time you have a problem.

LOL but you can still go on FML.com. always leave time for FML lol

I did something like that once, and I'm not particularly tech challenged. It was very painful. I have sympathy for you, even if a lot of the arrogant "geniuses" on here who never, ever make any mistakes don't. FYL.

There's a difference between making a mistake and skipping over multiple clear warnings on a huge system operation without reading them. OP is an idiot, there's no way around that.

I'm no tech genius and I'm no tech idiot either, but I'd never try something called "system ANYTHING" without finding out exactly what it does first.

totally agree...MULTIPLE warnings saying your shit will be gone forever lol

Oh I did that once...it was hitting the wrong button at the start up thing though, it was a total accident. I lost everything, including two years of writing work... My heart goes out to you...

Like said previously, your files are more than likely not deleted. To put it simply, files are not really deleted off your computer until another piece of information is written on the "blocks" of memory that the file previously used. It usually takes multiple re-writes to completely delete something. So, OP (and anyone else with this problem), stop using your computer; or at least use it just enough to search google for file recovery programs. If you're running Windows, I use the following program: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

The difference between the words recovery and restore are small, but the difference between what they actually do is HUGE. The next time your computer is acting strangely, take it to a repair shop unless you are 100% certain of what you're doing. It can only take a minute to end up costing you a ton of money.

I absolutely have no sympathy for you. Forget all the posts about how you shouldnt have handled it yourself... it clearly indicates BEFORE you do anything that it WILL erase your data. As many other people have mentioned there's a very good chance the data is still there, stop what you're doing (i.e. get off of FML) and bring it to a professional. Lesson learned. YDI.