By crazymentalblond - 17/11/2016 11:47 - United States - Havertown

Today, my class and I were discussing our country's relationship with other countries. One person stated that the French have never done anything for us. A classmate took that moment to chime in and ask, "I thought the French gave us that giant statue of the Mona Lisa?" He was dead serious. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 727
You deserved it 967

crazymentalblond tells us more.

crazymentalblond 25

OP here, when the second classmate made his announcement, everyone went silent (I swear crickets were chirping). He went into a ramble that sounded oddly like "the statue we got it in 1962." It took us all a few minutes to stifle our laughter to correct him. After that, yes someone did inform the first guy he was indeed wrong and told him several reasons why. At least it was a good way to kick off a what was slowly becoming a boring day. And yes I focused on the second guy a little bit more because I myself suck at history so I couldn't judge the first classmate too much. Especially when my previous schools skimmed over a lot of American history. If it wasn't for the books my mom showed me that she had on American history I wouldn't know much other than the basics. The education system I'm in really sucks.

Top comments

They only gave the US their liberty, nothing much really

The French also sent troops to help us in our campaign for independence during the revolutionary war. They have done quite a bit for us.

Comments

spawnaverage 8

(USA, Pennsylvania) why does this not surprise me

Ok people... the Statue of Liberty was sculpted based on the painting of the Mona Lisa, so he was right.

And designed by the same (French) guy who did the Eiffel Tower.

It was actually designed by Frédéric Bartholdi, but Gustave Eiffel constructed it :)

cootiequeen4444 11

where the hell did you read that? no where did it say - for a fact - that the statue of liberty was modeled after the mona lisa. in fact, I don't think that fact is even known. When I did a Google search of the statue of liberty and just the statue of liberty, I didn't even see the mona Lisa mentioned anywhere. when I Googled statue of liberty mona lisa then I got maybe two things maybe suggesting they were related (one seemed like it was joking though). mostly I got images to photoshopped memes. Which makes me think that perhaps OP'S classmate was joking and was referencing the memes. I mean... there is seriously a fuckton of statue of liberties with mona Lisa's gave photoshopped on. I honestly feel a lot of these FMLS (and nearly FMLs) where OP is bitching about another's stupidity is OP take another person too seriously or out of context. I mean people say "they were serious" when telling stories of (potential) morons ALL the bloody time without truly knowing if the person was serious or not. It makes for a better story if the person was serious y'know. However, I was not there so they very well could have been serious. I just wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. Just putting the possibility out there... Plus, as others notes, the more discerning comment is how France never done anything for the US... So the FML is kinda there regardless... just.... wrong.

Lady Liberty's face was based upon the designer's mother's face. Whether it was Bartholdi or Eiffel's mother I am uncertain, though I believe it was Eiffel's mother.

crazymentalblond 25

To 54, he was being serious. He stated that he read an article online that said the statue was portrayed after the Mona Lisa. Of course that came up after our first classmate was corrected, because our second classmate was busy trying to find the article again on his phone.

Not a lot, just that they're our oldest ally, gave us the Statue of Liberty, and supported us in our revolution.

Maybe he just had a brain fart. I have those all the time.

Unlucky1232 20

What? the French are awesome! they've done quite a lot for america from helping us gain independence to the Louisiana purchase to giving us lady liberty

Someone once asked me if Oxfam helped start World War 3! It makes you wonder how these people even make it through the day.

ViviMage 38

The statue is of a robed female figure representing Libertas, the Roman goddess, who bears a torch and a tabula ansata (a tablet evoking the law) upon which is inscribed the date of the American Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.

crazymentalblond 25

I'm still trying to figure out where people are getting this Mona Lisa stuff from!

Uhm.. You know that the Statue of Liberty is just a giant Mona Lisa, don't you? That's ******* fact.

Those damned Frenchies robbed us Brits of our glorious American colonies. There's France's contribution to your history. We sure showed you guys though when we took Canada and beat you in the War of 1812.

crazymentalblond 25

Y'all are just upset about us wasting all that tea we dumped. At least you guys seen to have a bed education system than the common core crap we have.

crazymentalblond 25

seem* better* God I hate my phone's auto-correct...

That was a disgusting way to behave...

We sure know how to throw a tea party, amirite? Lol.

crazymentalblond 25

Just don't let the Mad Hatter know about the tea party. He'd be pissed.

He meant the statue of liberty. He was close.. it was the Canadians.