By Anonymous - 29/10/2015 20:53 - United States

Today, my brother got his very first paycheck and blew it all on weed and a godawful tattoo, whereas I have been saving steadily for three years. Yet according to mum and dad, I'm the one who is irresponsible with money, because if I was being responsible I'd have enough for my own house by now. FML
I agree, your life sucks 25 439
You deserved it 1 644

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Do they think you're some big shot CEO or something?? Who can save enough for a house in just three years???

liquifiednate 21

Just keep saving your money OP and you'll be rewarded in the end. Then when that happens you can have something to show to your parents whereas your brother won't.

Comments

Continue with your saving habits OP, you'll be able to achieve any future goals you have planned, & Do it for yourself, Not your parents acknowledgement, don't feel like your obligated to prove this to them, they will see your accomplishments, No one can take that away, that's for sure

lexiieeex3 32

Do they not know you've been saving for just that? Sheesh...

I think age might be a factor here? Are you older than him?

amileah13 26

Sounds like YOU are the most responsible one in the household. Keep saving up op so you can move out. You don't need to be around that negativity! Good luck op!

Yeah, there's no pleasing parents like that. They've already made up their minds long ago, and nothing you can do will change that. Keep saving up to get your own place, and then you won't have any excuses for why you still need to put up wirh people like that.

TabooSushi 24

Younger brother? Cause that sounds exactly like my story: Working since I was 18, moved out at the same time, saving steadily with my husband whom I married at 22 after three years together, and we were living on our own for the last five years... Yet, because of unfortunate circumstances and cost of living in our area, my family was forced to move in with us, including my jobless, lazy 23 year old sister who has never worked a day in her life and does nothing to even help around the house. Yet she's perfect, and me and my husband are lazy slobs who should somehow be "doing more" with our lives, despite us both working full time just to get by as best we can.

TabooSushi 24

I know, curse me for having a soft heart, but they were never this critical when we were living separately. Just goes to show how people change under different circumstances.

Lay down the law at least with your sister, at least- contribute or get out. Sure, you'll still be the bad guy with your parents, but it sounds like that's going to happen either way. Explain that they are welcome to move in with their perfect daughter as soon as she gets her own place. If she doesn't have her own place, point that out.

TabooSushi 24

Oh I've been trying, but it's hard to punish her in any way with mommy protecting her. I can't kick her out or mom will raise more hell than it's worth.

If saving for a house in only three years was possible I would be living in a god damn mansion by now

Goblin182 26

My son done it in 3 years. Made up his mind and stuck to his guns. And no, he is not a CEO. And he didn't live like a hermit.

I bought my first house at 20, and was making maybe $1.50/hour over minimum wage at that point. I didn't find it that hard, just had to be smart with my money and had saved regularly since I started working part-time at 15.

Nah you don't have to prove anything to your parents if they can't see and appreciate your efforts.