By I guess not - 02/08/2016 13:24

Today, my boyfriend of three years asked me if I ever wanted to get married. I said yes. He said, 'But what happens if you never find a guy who likes you that much?' FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 429
You deserved it 1 108

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I've never understood why people stick around in long term relationships if they don't see it going anywhere (unless it's mutually agreed they both don't want marriage)...maybe he was joking?

ber4fun 23

"What kind of girl are you going to date next, after I dump you for being a jerk?"

Comments

One word: Ouch. Maybe it was just a joke at your expense, though. A little tease I mean.

A little tease? In no way is this "joke" even funny. :(

He might be hinting it but with a really bad cover.

chrisbeaudoin 26

Some people are very bad and find it awkward to bring up relationship status/where it's going. Try and talk to them about it and see if it'll still work out.

I've never understood why people stick around in long term relationships if they don't see it going anywhere (unless it's mutually agreed they both don't want marriage)...maybe he was joking?

if the partner is a good lay but a lousy personality.

ber4fun 23

"What kind of girl are you going to date next, after I dump you for being a jerk?"

Welllllp dump him. Now you know he's not worth your time.

It sucks to think about, but he just might not want to get married. You know him way better than the rest of us -at least I hope you do- so you're the only one who should know his personality well enough to be able to say this was a joke, a cover, or his way of bringing up a very awkward subject. No matter how it ends up, I sincerely hope you can be happy OP.

I don't think people should necessarily get married after three years, but I do think that after three years you should know if the relationship has the potential to last. If he's literally saying he doesn't see himself ever marrying you, and specifically because he doesn't like you enough for that, maybe it's time to make yourself open and available to a relationship with someone who will. His question implies that he doesn't value what he has with you and that's no way to spend your life.

The boyfriend said they aren't going to marry each other.

dannidoll93 24

What's not to get? OP's boyfriend basically implied that he didn't like her enough to want to marry her.