By heartbrokenhaley - 23/01/2014 20:57 - United States - Brockton

Today, my boyfriend of 6 years told me that since I've proven my loyalty and faithfully stuck by his side, he has no reason to ever consider marrying me, because "It's not like you're going anywhere, honey." He seems not to understand why I am upset by this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 672
You deserved it 5 590

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Some people just take things for granted. Good luck, OP

Comments

Good for you at being an excellent girlfriend. You need to have a serious talk with him, he does not seem to be on the same page as you.

Well, there are reasons for and against marriage... perhaps it is time to have a serious discussion about what goals you both have in this relationship, while also examining your opinions on marriage. [But don't focus just on trust-related things, but also on the legal bindings included, possible tax benefits, desire to have children, desire to have children in a marriage, etc.] His statement just doesn't make it seem as though he's given the entire thing a lot of thought yet.

Dump his ass! Thats the exact reason he should want to marry you. I would hate to see who he would actually consider proposing to.

Or she could talk to him and discuss why she would like to get married. Instead of throw away a 6 year relationship on what he may have considered a throwaway comment.

Well does he know that you're interested in getting married? It's kind of unfair of you to expect him to read your mind.

Isn't that kind of implied if you've been together for a long time?

So by his logic, the instant his partner shows a hint of leaving him, his immediate reaction is "marriage."

He is right you know, there is no point to getting married if you're just going to stay together.

So, by your (and apparently OP's boyfriend's) definition, only people who aren't planning on staying together should get married? That makes no sense to me. I'll grant that opinions and attitudes toward marriage have changed a a fair bit, but it still holds a great deal of meaning for some people.

yoursucklives 36

so couples should only get married if they think that they break up if they don't?

That's a fine attitude if both partners feel that way, but that's not the case here. The point is that it's something that OP wants, whether for moral/religious reason, security, legal benefits, or simply wanting a ceremony with lots of mushy romance and pictures to show potential off spring. What I'm wondering is his reason against getting married. Even if it is something he thinks is unnecessary, its something OP wants, so why deny her something that would make her happy?

emirie 21

22, do you realize your comment literally made no sense

I did that once. Guess who's divorced...

Refuse to have sex until marriage. Maybe that'll change his mind.

TallMist 32

Why does everyone see sex as a weapon? Because girls think guys can't live without it? Newsflash, girls, guys know that you need sex as well. We're not clueless.

I can foresee someone's ass protruding from a random widow causing all sorts of aesthetic and anatomical problems.

You can understand where he's coming from - I know a lot of people with this view. However, if marriage is important to you, make sure he knows this. Hopefully he'll change his mind if he knows how you feel about it. (I'm sure he will - you guys have been together for six years! That's a long time!)