By SezzyJ - 02/10/2009 11:31 - Australia

Today, my boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me. Via text. With the iPhone I got him for our anniversary. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 324
You deserved it 3 864

Same thing different taste

Top comments

So, he's a jerk because he breaks up with you over text, I get that. You, on the other hand, are an idiot for apparently thinking that one expensive gift would have chained him to you for the rest of your lives.

She...pushed him away by giving him a really expensive gift...? Wow, **** his life, that poor man. He got a gift because his girlfriend values him so much!

Comments

Ok, I don't know what the iPhone has to do with this. Did you expect that since you bought him an extensive thing for your anniversary, he'd never break up with you? Or did you want him to give it back now, when he'd already replaced his old one? "Today, my boyfriend broke up with me. FML" would suffice for this. The rest just doesn't make sense. I see no reason to in any way blame the boyfriend for this. Break ups happen. The only shit part of him was to actually break up by text.

Hunnibum 0

It does make sense cus she was just saying what happened. It was kind of a slap in the face, what he did. Why couldn't he break up with her by callin her?

expen_dable 0

if it was just "Today, my boyfriend broke up with me. FML." then it wouldn't have gotten published. if you think that version is better then you must be a really boring person.

Since you seem too slow to figure it out, let me connect it. The iPhone thing is adding insult to injury. First, she buys him the gift for their anniversary. Which means they are probably going for at least a while if expensive gifts are in the picture. Then, he dumps her impersonally over a text. With the iPhone SHE gave him for THEIR anniversary. And gee, what an FML, "Today my boyfriend dumped me. FML" I know I would be saying that that's the shittiest FML I ever read, just because it's so boring. It's the nature of FML to add the most effed up things, makes for an interesting read.

Hunnibum 0

nobody was responding to you, sarcastic commenter.

Hunnibum 0

and if they were, you still said it was irrelevant to the FML, right? what other response do you expect? a laugh? LOL's are reserved for funny things.

iSmellNice 2

So? A lot of people break up by text. It's a stupid way to do it, but it happens

Nope. Word of mouth always worked. Your friend suddenly comes up to you and says, "____ doesn't like you anymore. He/she says it's over. I saw him/her making out with someone else already. Sorry."

cut that damn service off!!! my evil twin would report it stolen!!!

I feel sorry for you, don't get me wrong, but was it really wise to buy him an iPhone in the first place?

celtic420 0

You guys aren't seeing the point. It's irony. It's not the fact that she spent money on him, she was pointing out the ironical fact that he broke up with her by 1) texting her and 2) with the very texting capable device she got him. It's not that he's an "asshole" because she bought him the phone, it's just cruel irony is all. Had she said "He broke up with me, and I just bought him an iPhone - how ungrateful!" then your comments would be applicable. That would be an unnecessary statement, and reveal her shallowness. But irony is one of the most prominent things you see on FML. It's the kicker, if you will.

stupiddumbblonde 0

why would you get him an iphone? let him get it himself. besides..if you know your going to break up someday, don't get him something that expensive.

yeah because everyone knows that they're going to break up someday, especially when they've been together for four years. you really must be a stupid dumb blond.

So, he's a jerk because he breaks up with you over text, I get that. You, on the other hand, are an idiot for apparently thinking that one expensive gift would have chained him to you for the rest of your lives.

celtic420 0

I think you should read my response, Mazza, to understand the point/context of the iPhone remark (or at least how I interpreted it). My point being it was not a matter of expense or material, just a bit if irony.

#34 it is not ur right to say that one expensive gift was meant to make him stay it was an anniversary gift not something t

celtic420 0

meh that's anyone's prerogative. Comparable to a good piece of jewelry. I see your point though. Still,gifts aren't just boyfriend/girlfriend oriented...the main idea behind it is giving to someone that means a lot to you a gift that will make them happy. And 4 years into the relationship, I'd say she probably wasn't trying to buy him over. So if she was okay with spending the money, confident that it would make him happy, then I'd say it was a good gift. Breaking up with people doesn't discredit the things you learned, experience you gained, and trust you harnessed while you were dating. It either just puts an end to the growth of those things, or sends them down a different direction. So the fact that they are no longer dating shouldn't take away from the fact that he played a major role her life and she wanted to thank him. sorry my comments are so long =(

So happy you understand that just because someone breaks up with you does not make them a bad person or invalidate what you had.

dspadres 0

What phone was he supposed to send you a break up text with?