By Anonymous - 24/02/2013 01:47 - United States - Gonzales

Today, my boyfriend kicked me out and threatened to get a restraining order after I called him an asshole. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and over 1,000 miles away from my parents' house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 898
You deserved it 9 194

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I know there's two sides to every story, but him doing that to his pregger girlfriend makes him a douchbag by default

alstbv12 13

Sounds like he deserved much worse than "asshole"

Comments

I hope, OP, that you'll give some follow-up on how you're doing. This is truly horrible and you'll be better off at your parents house. If you don't have the money to make the trip, ask them to transfer it to you and just go there immediately. Afterwards you can send your parents or a good friend there to pick up the rest of your stuff. But, just get away from there. Nothing apologises this kind of behaviour.

having dealt with a pregnant lady before i can only assume that saying asshole was not the only thing that triggered this.somehow being pregnant is perceived as a license to be f-ing awful. so maybe try and apologize to the man?

Or.. Maybe hr WAS being an asshole and got mad that she called him on it and wanted to exert dominance and control over her. It's well documented that abusive personalities rear their ugly heads during partners pregnancies. Cheating also usually will first occur during a pregnancy. Since you don't know, let's not assume that the pregnant lady deserved it. You weren't there. Kind of seems like you WANT her to be completely at fault for whatever reason.

And equally you don't know, so why bring up the irrelevant argument that people cheat during pregnancy and suggest that he has 'an abusive personality'? For all we know she called him an asshole because it was 3AM and he didn't want to drive somewhere and pick up a tub of ice cream. I don't know either, so I can't say that is the reason, I just don't think you should attack #16 for bias whilst using a comment which is biased in the other direction. By all means suggest neutrality, but do it neutrally. Also, we're given 2 buttons on this website - YDI or YLS. A lot of this website is based on the idea that we SHOULD just assume some people deserve things that happen to them.

Anyone willimg to leave a significant other out in the cold knowing that they're carrying a child is abusive. He could have told her she had to leave and waited for a ride to get there if she was being that difficult, but decided to leave her stranded. Based on the information given, the "punishment" did not fit the crime.

Also it's much more likely that a grown man would have an "I'll show you" attitude regarding being called an asshole, and try to teach a lesson than actually be so aghast at the word that he'd threaten with a restraining order and throw her on her ass. Which is why I jumped to the abuse conclusion.

I agree that being pregnant isn't an excuse but in my personal experience, guys that point that out ARE the ones that are being assholes, mostly by being dominant, aggresive and/or just plain selfish. They just can not understand that during pregnancy women aren't the same as they were before and that life will not be the same as before, so instead they try to cling to their old life and habits. Which results in the women trying to push the guy to understand and change his life, for the baby and for her. Pregnant women are nesting (preparing the home and family for the baby) and if one aspect isn't right, it has to be changed. If that wasn't the case for you, I am sorry that you have dealt with that pregnant lady because then she was using her pregnancy as an excuse.

BubbleGrunge 18

Sorry, ladies, being pregnant doesn't give you an excuse to be a bitch. I've known many pregnant woman who were not bitches, more emotional with tears and than rude. However, OPs boyfriend has no right kicking her out when she is pregnant. He should have been the man and got up and left for a little while till things cool down. Just because couples fight, doesn't mean the man is trying to "dominate" the woman. Yes, that is true in some instances but not in all cases. Don't throw your judgment around until you know the whole story. However, OP, you should have sat your sweet, pregnant ass down on the couch and told him to call the police. Legally, he can't kick you out if you reside there; he has to give you so many days to leave.

For all we know we're all being too literal. Kicking someone out could easily mean stopping them living with you - it doesn't have to mean actually forcing them out of your home, so actually he MIGHT have called her a cab or had a friend pick her up. There's also no mention of a time, so it could have been at a reasonable hour. #30 Please link your source for your assertion that a man will have an 'I'll show you attitude'. I assume you do have evidence to support it and you aren't just making it up to add more bias to your opinion that the man must be in the wrong. And in general I'll jump on the bandwagon that comes closest to my view - "being pregnant doesn't give you an excuse to be a bitch" - people treat pregnancy as if it's the most important thing a single person can do. It's necessary to keep humanity going but there's enough of it around that people shouldn't be revered for getting pregnant. Imagine the FML without the mention of pregnancy - "I was kicked out for calling him an asshole. I'm 1000 miles from home with nowhere to go". If this was the FML posted then from previous FMLs I can guarantee there would be a lot more "we don't have the full story - you must have done something else and aren't telling us" in the comments. The fact remains that pregnancy makes you hormonal and you may get bitchy, but it shouldn't be used as this automatic trump card in an argument. Finally, earlier you said 'anyone willing to leave a loved one out in the cold, knowing they're carrying their child is abusive'. This is incorrect. Anyone willing to push her down a flight of stairs is abusive - not wanting to have them around is just rejection.

conqueror57 11

I don't know what a "restraining order" tastes like from the restaurant by you, but if he's offering to get take out, and you're pregnant without other options, I'd go fo it.

That was a dick move on his part to kick you out while you are pregnant. You should call your parents and move back home. Being so stressed out and arguing isn't healthy for the baby. Good luck op!

You sound like "a lot to deal with" already even without the pregnant part.

JJ_Rokk 10

Not even cool. That's not how you treat a woman, especially not your girl who's gonna be giving birth soon.

16 weeks pregnant isn't soon. 40 weeks is a full term pregnancy so 16 weeks isn't even halfway done. A lot can happen in 40 weeks. We don't even know OP's age, she could be 16 or 45, not that it changes the situation but from what I read I don't think they are really prepared for this.

JJ_Rokk 10

143- well whatever. Regardless, it was a dick move on his part. You don't just kick a girl out. That's not how you treat a woman.

I don't think the word 'asshole' is enough to cover what he is. Try cocksuckingmcfagatrondicklickingfuckbucket.

WrongRomance 11

I think as a pregnant woman, you should show some dominance over your ridiculous boyfriend.

WrongRomance 11

Whip him into shape, I don't know exactly. It depends on his personality.

It is extreme folly to enter or continue a relationship on the premise that you will be able to change the other person.

Thr33to16 8

Pregnant teen giving relationship advice. Classic stuff.

Sounds like OP has her hands tied. Hopefully, if it IS his, you can file for alimony when the baby is born. That is, assuming he does just disappear.

Thr33to16 8

Pregnant teen giving relationship advice. Now that's classic.

You do realize if the pregnant woman is really stressed and feeling bad, it might harm the unborn? So I'd say that if she wasn't actually treatening to kill him, unfaithful, or anything else that deserves a big punishment, the boyfriend did something quite stupid. So YES, a boyfriend who breakes up during pregnancy is quite a scum, unless they made the decision together knowing that they actually don't want to be together. oh, and how is it only the woman who chooses to get pregnant? Maybe she didn't want to get pregnant at all, did you even consider that?

mimiminx 23

I feel there's more than meets the eye to this story...