This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By upsetkikat - 09/09/2016 19:09 - United Kingdom - Farnham

Today, my boyfriend got me a kitten only to then decide we cannot afford it and that it must go. He already has a home lined up for it and I have no say in the matter. Heartbroken. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 607
You deserved it 111

Top comments

If you have no say in the matter then maybe you should re-evaluate your relationship.

He gifted her the kitten on impulse and left her with no say in getting it, let her fall in love with it ( bonds don't take a specific amount of time), and then took it away, also without giving her a say. People don't do things like that because they care enough to get it for them, they do things like this to play with their heads and maintain control. Sounds to me like you have too low standards for a significant other.

Comments

If you have no say in the matter then maybe you should re-evaluate your relationship.

epicgamer 18

First of all not an fml and not a ydi. And he got YOU the kitten, not the other way around, making HIM financially responsible for it. Just because you think its cute isn't a valid reason for keeping it. It's too early to even form bonds with it. And you should be happy to have a boyfriend who at least is willing enough to get you a kitty if it weren't so financially demanding and that he's serious enough about the relationship that he also wants to be budget friendly.

He gifted her the kitten on impulse and left her with no say in getting it, let her fall in love with it ( bonds don't take a specific amount of time), and then took it away, also without giving her a say. People don't do things like that because they care enough to get it for them, they do things like this to play with their heads and maintain control. Sounds to me like you have too low standards for a significant other.

Excuse me, but he GIFTED her the kitten. That alone makes HER the kitten's owner.

This is why animals should not be given as gifts.

I completely agree with you, pets are not toys and getting one is a decision that should be well thought out. Not sure why this was down voted.

I have 3 dogs. 2 of which were gifts. Have had them for 3 years. It's not always a bad thing.

Dump him and keep the cat. He should have considered the financial responsibility BEFORE committing to the animal and emotional attachments could form. Also, cats are relatively cheap pets... Especially if they don't have an chronic health concerns. So it almost sounds like an excuse in my book. Maybe he decided he didn't like the cat or got jealous of the attention it got. Still not acceptable relationship material.

Considering that your boyfriend apparently has issues with obtaining animals on impulse, and getting rid of them when he comes down, you may want to keep an eye out for similar behavior. It can be a sign of a fair amount of emotional and mental disorders, such as bipolar disorder. He may also just flat out have poor impulse control. How you respond to either scenario is up to you.

I would at least try to reason that, since it's only a kitten, he should be taken care of until he can defend himself outdoors. Even then, I would provide food and clean water, just to help em.

No, you find it a better home. You don't just let it go outside. Wtf

The boyfriend is a dick but at least he found a home for the kitten. Just waiting for it to grow up enough to toss it out of its home is awful on a number of levels. What is wrong with you?

4everBroken 13

Leave his ass right now he did that shit on purpose no way he meant to keep it... So sad that would kill me too.

What an ass. If you had no say, and he already had a home lined up, he did that on purpose, with no intent to keep. May be time to reevaluate the relationship.

Maybe you should line up a new home for your boyfriend. That's manipulative behaviour and emotional abuse. You don't need scum like that in your life.

Key word there "boyfriend"...not husband or parent so therefore has no authority over you sweetie. If you can take care of the cat then tell him to piss off and keep the kitty.

Even if it was her husband, he wouldn't have authority over her. Partners are equals and if you want to live in the 50s then I suggest you start by getting off the internet.