This is a Nearly FML. It’s an FML, nearly. It got positive votes from the users, by wasn’t approved by our team.

By Anonymous - 14/08/2016 16:36 - United States

Today, my boss is having me play the bad guy by having me fire an employee for not showing up for work the other day. The reason this is the case is because the employee got my permission to leave for her mother's funeral. He doesn't care and everybody will blame me for this. FML
I agree, your life sucks 884
You deserved it 60

Top comments

sohigh10 34

Isn't it illegal to deny someone grievance leave for a direct family member? On top of that, you and all other employees should not stand for this inexcusably poor behaviour from your boss. This is why unions were formed.

countryb_cth 38

When you talk to her straight up say that you are so sorry but the boss made you do it. Be sure to say that you think it's totally unfair and you're very sorry for her loss. That way no one can blame you and your coworkers will know that your boss is a huge douche bag.

Comments

sohigh10 34

Isn't it illegal to deny someone grievance leave for a direct family member? On top of that, you and all other employees should not stand for this inexcusably poor behaviour from your boss. This is why unions were formed.

No, unfortunately, depending on the state, especially if it's an at will state, it isn't illegal. Those states are not required to give bereavement leave, which I think is unfair, someone just lost a person they care about, have some compassion. However, the boss is justified on the firing in this case if they don't allow leave for it, it's not right, but it is legal.

Unless OP is an idiot, it seems that he was told that he has the ability to alter schedules. Which, if that's the case, it would make OP's boss a asshole. And, again, something put OP under the impression that he had the authority to make that decision, so barring OP just assuming he does, it seems like this could very well be a way for the boss to get rid of people they don't like, and use OP as the scapegoat. That said, is there anyway that you could talk the boss down? Like under the statement of it having been your mistake, etc. Obviously I'm not telling you to endanger your career over it, but it's worth some consideration.

countryb_cth 38

When you talk to her straight up say that you are so sorry but the boss made you do it. Be sure to say that you think it's totally unfair and you're very sorry for her loss. That way no one can blame you and your coworkers will know that your boss is a huge douche bag.

Yah that's illegal. Is there someone who's higher up than him at your job you can email? If not I'd definitely file a complaint with the labor board and tell the person you're firing to do the same thing.