By flyakite - 22/08/2014 03:53 - United States

Today, my boss decided our 4 year relationship was unethical, so she broke up with me, then terminated my employment. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 138
You deserved it 6 605

Same thing different taste

Top comments

hoopgrug 5

Without knowing more about it, I hesitate to offer unsolicited advice, but is there someone you could report this to?

Comments

Or maybe OP wasn't fulfilling his obligations and his boss promoted somebody else.

She just took the easy way out man, that sucks.

this is a bit cliched for FML but based on this short description there could well be a case for wrongful termination and/or sexual harassment here. let us know what happens OP!

CookieLovesBoo 16

You guys are so pitiful over here arguing because the second comment is "k" . It could have been any other number but since it's on top everyone's mad , I would have done this crap too , just to make all you guys mad

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
pwnman 33

What a useless comment. "K". That's worse than replying to a conversation saying "k".

Greenteamextreme 16

Hense my reply lol. Wtf kind of a comment is K?

Potassium is very important in our world, people.

#2 this is not a text message you are writing it is a comment on a website if you can't come with something a little more original then don't write anything that was just ridiculous K?

Rainhawk94 27

There should be a filter for comments such as those. "I'm sorry, you're comment is invalid, please try another, maybe more intelligent approach"

RIP this thread, it lived a short and pointless life...

#59 Hey, please write something useful not only one letter !!!

Animekid126 13

I think everyone wants their comment up top...

Uhhh I don't think 2 is getting the point here...

ShinnamonBun 7

People are getting so triggered by this lmao

hoopgrug 5

Without knowing more about it, I hesitate to offer unsolicited advice, but is there someone you could report this to?

pwnman 33

OP, file a lawsuit. She is a bitch. Terminate her from your life. Gee, what a horrible pun!

Here's the "sue them" response I'm used to!

#6 their are plenty of other ways to handle this that OP doesn't need to jump right into a lawsuit don't be so hasty to tell people to jump into a lawsuit.

#36 Every time I see one of your comments it bugs me to no end that your display pic is sideways haha

#36 I know and I've changed it and no matter what I do it always goes sideways it's irritating to me too sorry everyone.

World_Burner 13

At least it's a slight change, most "sue them" comment are aimed at men, this time it's different.

jeragonm 15

Instead if their it should be *there* are more options... A proper sentence using those two would be: They would win their lawsuit.

At least no awkward moments at work now

What work? He lost his money and his honey.

Steve95401 49

It took her 4 years to realize something that should have been obvious to any manager who has the slightest bit of common sense? How has she kept her job all these years?

Probably because she's the boss. Maybe there aren't any higher ups. I also think that it would be one thing if it was a fling or they had only been dating for a few months, but after 4 years, which is a seriously committed relationship, I don't see the point. I could be wrong but at this point I don't think it's that unethical. After 4 years, you were probably considering marriage too.

Seems to me like she just wanted to break up with him, so she fired him so she wouldn't have to deal with the drama at work, and she just used the "unethical" line as an excuse.

#25 whether it was 4 years, 4 months or even 4 days it's still unethical she's the boss and should have known better.

She's taking the out of sight out of mind thing way to far then

Greenteamextreme 16

I wish karma was a real thing. **** cowards, liars and time wasters! Theres a better job and woman around the corner!

There's actually a lot of people who do believe that karma is a real thing. That's kind of like saying, "I wish the messiah was a real person." Please try to be mindful in the future. You don't want to start an argument about religion.... do you?

#32 karma and religion are two different things and you are the one that brought up religion not #10 and just for the record their are a lot of people that believe the Messiah is not real they also say Jesus is not real and believe that mary is not real, it just depends on the person and what they believe so maybe next time don't bring up how different people do believe karma is real followed by "it's like saying the Messiah is not real" just saying.

Actually, 40, Karma is a major part of both Hinduism and Buddhism, so actually, yes, by bringing up karma, 10 did bring up religion. And I'm aware that a lot of people don't believe in the messiah or karma, but it's one thing to say "I don't believe in it" and another to say, "it's not real." The former is an opinion while the latter is a definitive statement. People tend to get irritable when you publicly denounce beliefs held near and dear to their heart, and that's even more true when it comes to religion. So it was just some advice. 10 can take it or leave it.

jjones0818 12

Big difference between the Messiah and karma... One is mythology and one is actuality. .

See, 53, that's what I'm talking about. Now you're just trolling.

To be fair, 49, there are plenty of people who get irritable no matter which one you state. "I don't believe" translates directly to "that doesn't exist" for too many people.

True, but it's unreasonable to expect everyone who doesn't believe as you do to never say so. Those people are really no better than those who go around brazenly declaring others' beliefs stupid. People shouldn't be afraid to say what they do and don't believe in. It's just important to do so politely. But to be fair to 10, I don't think she intended any offense in what she said, so I thought I'd just gently point out to her that some might take offense to it and start a big stupid argument.

Octwo 16

32 -> Chastises OP for possibly starting an argument about religion -> Starts an argument about religion.

It's called an excuse. There were probably a lot of things wrong at least from her perspective. People sometimes do things in a round about manner to(in some weird fantasy universe) prevent those they care about from getting their feelings hurt. She probably wanted to break up for a while and just didn't know how to do it. This just gave her the excuse to do it in the least damaging way to you.

askullnamedbilly 33

*most damaging way. Not least. OP has now lost his relationship AND his job, which is quite definitely worse than her being honest about not wanting to be with him anymore and ending the relationship.

Like I said "in some fantasy universe." I'm not saying it's true, I'm just saying it's probably the rationale behind it.

13, I agree, she probably (in a very weird way) thought that OP wouldn't be as hurt by using the excuse that's it's "unethical", as oppose to just being honest and saying that she no longer liked/loved him, or whatever it was. Then once they broke up she realized how awkward it would be for her and fired OP which really threw the "hurt less" right out the window as she was thinking completely selfishly. 19, 13 did say "in some weird fantasy universe." I'm pretty sure 13 agrees that it was the worst possible way to do it. :)

Do you have an HR department you can report this to? if it's so "unethical" to be in a seemingly mutual romantic relationship then she should be held responsible too. Your HR department (if you have one) could possibly come up with a better solution than letting both you go.