By girlfromnowhere - 23/02/2016 11:06 - United Arab Emirates

Today, my boss asked me to work over the entire weekend. That would be fine if I didn't already work a 60 hour week. He also said the extra hours on the weekend wouldn't be paid. FML
I agree, your life sucks 23 720
You deserved it 2 114

Same thing different taste

Top comments

He's not even thankful for the hard work and hours you've put in! Isn't it illegal for the company not to pay you for your time worked anyway? I hope you said no. It sounds like you're exhausted. Good luck!

Comments

cleio81 5

your boss can not legally ask you to work unpaid hours. for so many reasons... if I were you I would quit. That is not a good place to work.

expertsmilee 26

**** that. Work the weekend and then when you're not payed for it, sue the hell out of them. Never turn a blind eye to a lawsuit for some good money that you can easily win when it's smacking you in the face with a 2x4.

That's ******* stupid. Not only would she lose the case because she knowably knew she wouldn't get paid but she would waste everyone's time and possibly risk her job.

expertsmilee 26

Pray tell #47, how would they prove she knew beforehand? And even if she was aware of it, how would that make it any less illegal?

They're not in the States buddy, and even then if it was a Salary job extra hours are not paid directly. they might show up in an end of year bonus or not. OP is from the UAE, which i'm pretty sure has a Salary standard, not an hourly standard.

maddigraphs 9

It IS illegal to work without pay. So if they want you to work without pay then you need to make a big deal about this.

bubba3939 3

No, not for salary workers. They can have you work 60 hours a week or 20 you still get paid the same amount.

Not so much. after x amount of hours they have to pay something

Only for hourly jobs. Salaried jobs are different.

Tell him to **** off then put thumb tacks in his chair if he has one

It is not illegal for a company to do this. If you are paid salary rather than hourly, companies can ask you to work extra hours with no extra pay. They can claim that your bonus will reflect it as an incentive. My husband worked "on call" for many years with no extra pay when he went in. Finally they revolted and demanded to be paid extra for their time.

I'm sorry, but your husband has been taken for a ride, glad to read they refused to accept it any longer. It is absolutely illegal to let people work for free, which this basically is. If you are paid a fixed monthly income (which is kinda rare these days anyway), your contract will (or should) reflect how many hours you have to work for this, just to protect employees from exactly this kind of abuse. That's not to say many, many, many companies will not still try it and even get away with it as well. Many people will not complain, because they are afraid of losing their job. It sometimes shocks me how many companies (be it big or small) will abuse their employees. There is a journal somewhere written by a (now former) employee of Electronic Arts, revealing some really disturbing things for example...

#20 Even salaried personnel are only allotted so may hours before additional compensation should kick in. For example, if salary is based on a 45-hour work week, then being forced to work 55 hours should bring in some compensation for the additional hours. How much compensation as well as how many hours have to be worked before it kicks in is, I believe, determined by your state's labor board.

it will actually be illegal for him to say the hours wont be paid

say no then but either way legally if you do it they have to pay you

It sucks that he'd ask that of you. Sounds like he's taking you for granted, and you shouldn't let him. Say no.

That's what we call illegal. If you say no he can't hold it against you. That ******* sucks. I worked 7 days a week but at least I was paid for it.

ChiefKoala 30

This really sucks, and I'm sure it's illegal. At least here anyway. Also, I'm thoroughly surprised no one has made a comment pertaining to your job being something related to terrorists because of the word Arab there. I'm very surprised some jackass on here hasn't made that stupid "joke".