By Sam - 04/05/2014 06:12 - United States - Eureka

Today, my art teacher showed off a painting of his name he got in Japan. I can read Japanese, and it actually says "Old idiot". I really don't want to break it to him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 681
You deserved it 5 216

Same thing different taste

Top comments

that's really messed up but I don't think I'd have it in me to break it to him either.

Comments

darlingdollie 24

That's just sad. I feel you, op. Just break it to him nicely and in confidence! It will be better that way and could possibly save embarrassment in the future :)

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Probanly not. As you will well be aware there are many different Chinese languages (for a start), however Japanese is one of the few languages in the world to have evolved with minimal influence from the surrounding languages. The exception being its written system, which is based off of Chinese writing. Basically what i'm saying is, you might recognise the characters but your ability to speak (a) Chinese language(s) will not help you.

Thanks for that. Anyone else wanna share their two cents?

askullnamedbilly 33

The Japanese language did NOT evolve without being influenced by other languages, they use the entire Chinese Kanji system for heaven's sake. So yes, a Chinese person could be capable of reading and understanding two simple, common words on a canvas. They would not pronounce them the same way, but the meaning shouldn't escape them.

34 is correct. The Kanji system uses Chinese characters and a lot of the characters mean the same thing while others tend to carry a similar meaning. For example, 'Mimi' 耳 means ear in Japanese 'Er' 耳 also means ear in Chinese The pronunciation is different but the meaning it carries and the character is the same.

I speak both Japanese and Chinese, and what the others are saying is correct. You can definitely understand the meaning, even if you don't pronounce it the same way.

For those downvoting, Kanji in Japanese is taken from Chinese, so it's not too farfetched/racist.

ChristianH39 30

This is probably the most educational string of comments I've ever seen on an FML

Don't say anything if you value your grade.

so you just enjoy being an ass I take it?

ChristianH39 30

I would think saying something would actually help OPs grade, I know I for one would appreciate it if someone pointed that out to me, if I were OPs teacher

Just as an FYI for anyone who now got the idea to try the same thing as the teacher did: Most western names cannot be written in japanese. While things like e.g. Obama work, because there was actually a faction in the Sengoku Jidai that was called Obama, something like "Barack" would be written the way that they pronounce it: Baraku. I'm not even sure how they would pronounce something like "Christine" or "Michael".

While this is true for hirigana and kanji, you can actually have a foreign name written in katakana, as many western words are written in katakana instead of using romanized text. So you can have 'Christine' (for example) broken down into the syllables to give クリスチネ(ku-ri-su-ti-ne) (thats the jist, anyway. My Japanese is rusty as hell)

To be fair, most names cannot be truly translated into any language. Languages don't develop as parallel to one another. For example, the name norman (etymology - norse for 'man of the north') is translated into gaelic (using gaelic here because i speak it) as Tormaid. Tormaid means 'tower man'. It's an accepted equivalent rather than a literal translation. Also, if anyone is wondering, Tormaid is pronounced as tor uh mitch.

I was going to say something here... but never mind. EDIT.

16 - Michael is "maikeru" (at least when I tried to figure it out as a kid)

wouldn't it be to(small)I instead of chi? I'm pretty sure you can make the ti sound

You should tell him in private, it's not nice to let him carry on parading something that is wrong.

or potentially embarrassing for that matter..

I don't think I would mention it. Remember he has the power to fail you.

cryssycakesx3 22

it's not like OP made the art and called him "old idiot"

Regardless I would let him know. Maybe not in front of the class bit it private after class. You know what they say, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility.

Strange thing, since Japanese aren't usually associated with the stereotype of being such trolls... anyway, let him now the true meaning of the paint in a creative, perhaps anonymous manner. He deserves to know :/

Haha I wouldn't be able to hold in my laughter if I were you ^^