By Anonymous - 06/10/2013 04:44 - United States

Today, my 6-year-old daughter threw a tantrum in the middle of a store, all because I wouldn't buy her a pushup bra. FML
I agree, your life sucks 51 457
You deserved it 7 173

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Please tell me you had the common sense not to give in to her?

I think I speak for the entire fml community when I say that I really REALLY hope you did not give in.

Comments

Just tell your daughter NO! Would you buy her a knife if she said she wanted one? Or would you buy her lighter because she said she wanted one?

exactly. otherwise they'd just being trying to cut their wrist with spoons.

If my kid (when i have one in the far future) told me they wanted a knife, I'd go crazy with joy that my kid picked up my love of knives, and run out and find them a good folder. As far as lighter, I don't see the problem there, as long as they aren't being stupid with it.

#37, the conversation is about 6 year olds... If you think that's acceptable for a 6 year old don't have children AT ALL!

umakemesic 15

Sounds to me like she is in a hurry to grow up. Maybe sit her down and explain that she is too young for a push up bra. she needs to enjoy being a kid.

I can understand her desire to own a bra if she has older siblings who wear bras, just explain to her why they wear bras and why she can't. she probably just wants to feel like a big girl

TrinityNevada 11

It's nearly impossible to set a six-year-old down and explain anything. Sure, they're smarter than people give them credit for and I am in agreement with the person below me who said Child maybe just wanted to be a big girl. Kids throw tantrums in inconvenient places. As a parent and salesclerk, I would rather witness a tantrum than to witness the parent/guardian giving in. There's nothing wrong (in my opinion) with ignoring a tantrum that is designed to get attention/what they want. if any other customers or co workers have a problem with that, they can kiss your a**

136, my daughter is 6 and I'm relatively certain I can sit her down and explain things to her and she understands. If I explain why she can't have something, she will ask questions until she gets it and its my job as her mother to answer those questions and educate my child as well as teach her to listen and be respectful. She also understands that there are consequences for throwing tantrums.... Such as trouble, big trouble. Ignoring a tantrum and chosing not to explain things to your children is laziness.

TrinityNevada 11

OK, my son was hard to explain things to when he was 6, but he is slightly delayed. Some six-year-olds you can talk some sense into and some you can't. I did sit my child down and talk to him about damn near everything he asked me about. In my experience, trying to talk a child down during a tantrum didn't work, he just needed to get it out. I've walked out of many stores to let him finish tantrums and brought him right back in again after he calmed down. I don't think ignoring the tantrum is laziness if the parent talks to the child after they've calmed down and can sit and think. same goes for arguments with my boyfriend - when he's yelling and throwing things, there's no talking him down, we have to let it ride it's course. Me? I have to remove myself from a situation that makes me mad before I can talk about it.

You don't give in, but you don't ignore a tantrum either. If your kid throws a tantrum, you take them outside. You do not let them scream and yell and make it other costumers responsibility to put up with it. Leave your cart with customer service, and come back when the kids tired themself out or you've talked them down.

150493x 29

When I was little I wanted to make the transition from vest tops to crop tops because all the other girls wore them! Maybe it is just what your daughter is seeing when they get changed for gym and she wants the same? I wouldn't say go buy her one though, there is no rush to grow up.

Six year olds get changed for gym together?

laurapiggy 3

She's 6 not 16. No 6 yr olds change at school.

150493x 29

They do when they get changed into their gym kit. Why is that hard to grasp? I've been in schools on work experience where younger children get changed in class, older children get changed in separate gender changing rooms. When I was at school it was the same.

I've never seen that happen. When I was in elementary school, you just wore sneakers. You never changed. If you didn't bring your sneakers, you sat out for the day. Other than that you could wear whatever you had on for the school day.

When I was in school we did not change for gym until middle school. We certainly didn't change in school when we were 6.

150493x 29

Well our schools had uniform, and on gym days you had to take shorts and tshirts etc. Obviously Not all schools are going to be the same but that is what it is like here.

As a professional bra fitter, they don't even make bras that small. You can special order a 28 but even then, that band size would be too large for a 6 year old. She's likely in grade one or just starting grade two, the idea of her class mates all having special custom ordered bras for their non-developed breasts is ridiculous. P.S, OP, teach your daughter that her breast size doesn't matter. As she gets older teach her to love her body how it is. Not to mention push up bras are lies.

When I was 6 (and for most of first/elementary school), we all got changed for PE/gym in the classroom, it was no big deal.

I didn't start wearing a 28in band until I was 11 and I was always tall for age. At 6 I don't even think I knew what a pushup bra was.

I didn't even know what a push-up bra was until I was probably 14. Just treat it like any other tantrum and don't give her what she wants. Especially in this case. Maybe make sure she watches a little more Barney and a little less MTV.

Come on... really? Little kids throw fits in public places all the time. Its called tell her no and enforce some discipline aka be a parent.

The point of this FML isn't that her child threw a tantrum in public. It's that her 6 year old child wanted a a push up bra.

I think it falls along the lines of a typical little kid wanting to act older than what they are and/or wanting to be like someone they saw that may have a push up bra... ya know... such as the mother of the 6 year old. (Compare it to when a little boy stands in front of a mirror with his dad and puts shaving cream on his face because he wants to shave just like who??? His dad.) Kids always want to be like the ones they look up to.

maybe OP's daughter has an older sister who wears bras? Kids pick stuff up from all sorts of places

If she said this because she wants to feel as if she's older, you could buy her some sparkly lipgloss and some hair clips to make her feel older But I didn't even know bras were for boobs when I was 6, I thought you wore them on your head when you want to be posh

Umm... She's 6... Buy her a 3DS or barbies... Wtf is wrong with kids these days?!

Hey rich bitch that's just spoiling with a 3ds

Kids were always spoiled. And buying her a 3DS wouldn't make the situation any better.

My eight year old has only once thrown a tantrum in her life, and she had pneumonia at the time. OP needs to brush up on their parenting skills. Fail.

That's great for you, but a child throwing a tantrum has nothing to do with the parenting skills. How the parent handles is a different story. But all kids throw tantrums.

OP needs to brush up his/her parenting skills because their child had a tantrum? Almost every child has tantrums over stupid things like this. This has nothing to do with parenting skills. Also I highly doubt your 8 year old has only ever had one tantrum.