By emilyhendrix0414 - 28/09/2012 10:53 - United States

Today, my 5-year-old, overweight Siberian Husky tackled me because he thought that my lipstick was food. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 379
You deserved it 6 584

Same thing different taste

Comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

You should've trained him properly.

You beat me to it. A dog with proper obedience am impulse control training would not jump on you to take food away. I also sense a dominance perception problem. Husky thinks he/she is the top dog if she's trying to take food from you instead of waiting its turn.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Exactly. When my dog was a puppy, I trained her not to touch food until I told her she could. She's 6 now, and to this day, if I give her food and say "Don't touch it," she won't; I can even walk in a different room. If I give her food from my hand, I can also tell her "gently" and she will slow down and be patient when taking the food. I did that so she knows I'm the alpha, and OP should've done something like that as well.

The dog is not only not trained properly, the poor thing is also overweight :( I'm guessing op is a horrible dog owner. A 5 year old dog should already be trained.

Some breeds are almost impossible to train out of certain things. Huskies are hard headed. It doesn't always mean a poor owner. I also have a pretty fat cat. He was that way when I rescued him and no matter what the vet tried, it didn't work. Learn a bit about the breed before judging the owner. I have had two sibes. Each had their own hard headed habit that was almost impossible to fix.

A person who hasn't much experience with training dogs should't get a breed that's har to train. Too many people get huskies without knowing their needs. Huge needs too.

I do agree people need to learn about any animal before bringing one home. With dogs, breed research is very important. Not every breed is a good match for every person. Sibes can be little demons at times though, no matter how well they are behaved. My current one isn't a begger, yet there gave been two food thieving incidents when backs are turned. He usually will not do that. However, it is a trait of the breed. most huskies don't start calming down until 5 or 6 as well. Gorgeous breed. Giant handful. But I don't know one sibe owner who doesn't gave at least one story to tell where it looks like the dog is untrained. Can't judge based off of one story. Mine is actually very well trained and well behaved. But if he has too much mental energy, he will do something stupid. It's his way if saying he needs more playtime to stimulate his brain. Usually he gets an extra dog park visit or extra time with his puzzle toys during those times.

you ever tried to train a siberian husky? trust me, it is not an easy thing to do. my parents were part of a husky rescue for years, and we've had 14 of them that ended up staying for good. you want a loyal, grateful, and obediant dog? dont get a husky. if you want an energrtic, wild, fun, and hilarious dog you might have to chase around the neighborhood once in a while after they leap over an 8 foot fence with no hesitation, get a husky. they are wonderful dogs, but like said before me, sometimes they are nearly impossible to train, unless theyre being trained to do something they enjoy doing.

You deserved it for not training your dog properly and feeding it too much/not exercising it enough.

Why are people clicking YDI? I'm not saying it can't possibly be OP's fault, but I'm curious.

Because both problems are due to OP's apparent inability to be a responsible pet owner, both for her sake and her dog's.

conqueror57 11

Dogs rely on their owners for food. It's her fault her dog is overweight and has no sense of control when it comes to food. It's poor training and upbringing which is 100% the owner's fault. Dogs are what you teach them.

If the dog was trained properly, it wouldn't be tackling it's owner for something that the dog thought was food. If OP trained the dog, this wouldn't have happened. Also if a pet is overweight, it's mostly the fault of the owner (of course not always, there are exceptions).

Thanks, you guys. Sorry, I was curious. I've never owned a dog.

Please give your dog more exercise and stop feeding him so much. I love dogs and I hate seeing people with unhealthy pups. They don't know any better and will eat until they explode =[

olpally 32

Damn, that's one big dog mauling you... Surprised you didn't end up in the hospital or with any injuries for that matter... Or did you?

Judging by the fact that he jumped you to eat what you were holding and you state he's overweight, I think it's pretty clear that he's just awfully trained. If you taught him to only eat what he was given then he wouldn't go for your stuff AND he wouldn't be fat. F your dog's life, not yours.

KingBrewster 6

I have always wanted a Siberian husky, but cannot get one because I live in AZ, or did until I got to college.

Same here! I love love LOVE Siberian husky so much but my parents said the only way for me to own one is when I move out n have my own place :(

What does being in az have to do with it? Their undercoats protect them from both heat and cold if properly maintained, ie not shaving them. I am now in fl with mine. Granted during real hot days I keep him in the ac other then going outside for the bathroom. As a husky lover myself, the only thing I beg of people who want one is to research the breed it takes a certain personality to be able to deal with one. And out if all the dogs I've owned, they have been the most work. They have also been the most rewarding. I will never not have a husky or two in my life.

You can have a husky anywhere. If they're well-bred, their fur serves doubly as both heat and cool insulation. The poorly bred ones you see so often with shaggy fur, however, are another story.

Shaggy fur can also just mean they are blowing their undercoat. They do that usually twice a year.

Vash_41288 10

I agree with other poster, I live in AZ.and i have a husky and he sits fine. You just have to take care of them. Granted mine is an inside dog but you just have to exercise them a lot for that. You do have to research the bed because they are not for everybody and can be loss of work. They all have different personalities that are wonderful. I love my dog and can't imagine being with out him now

i live in AZ now, and my husky moved here with me. Been here with me for 6 years.

should've given it to him. After tasting the stuff, he'll never do it again.