By arianelagolden - 05/05/2016 18:07 - Belgium - Nivelles

Today, my 4 year-old grand-daughter let her pet rabbit loose in the yard, while my 2 year-old grandson was trying to climb on a chair, then a table. I had to choose between catching the rabbit before it ran under the fence, or saving my grandson from falling on the concrete terrace. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 366
You deserved it 1 326

arianelagolden tells us more.

All is well that ends well. Of course I chose to save the kid! Seriously! First I got my grand-son off the table, then I caught the rabbit on time, then I told the kids they could not do what they had done. When the parents returned, they told me this happens all the time. As there is a huge dog in the neighbours' yard, I don't think the rabbit will last long if they are not more careful.

Top comments

Obviously your grandson would come first? How is that a choice?

heroqucas 25

I really hope you chose the kid. You can replace a bunny

Comments

ispymach 3

This is why buying kids a pet bunny for Easter is frowned upon. Too many bunnies die every year due to instances like this.

It doesn't say anything about the rabbit having been an Easter gift. in fact, it doesn't say anything about the rabbits role in the family except that they were allegedly the granddaughter's rabbit. For all we know, the rabbit could have been a Christmas or birthday gift. The issue that caused this wasn't that she had the bunny or even when she got them- the issue was that she obviously wasn't given instructions on how to care for the rabbit, and that her caretakers were careless with letting her have access to the rabbit whenever she wanted. That is the issue, regardless of when they purchased or adopted the rabbit for her.

My parents bought me a rabbit when I was pretty young, around the same age as the OP's granddaughter. Owning the bunny isn't the issue here. The problem is the parents/adults were obviously irresponsible and didn't teach the 4yr old how to properly care for a rabbit. Part of caring for it properly is you DON'T let it outside (unless you have proper fencing), it isn't hard to teach a 4yr old this.

The only issue here is OP being bad at babysitting for letting this situation to develop.

Wizardo 33

Soooo, when are you visiting your grandson at the hospital?

I guess the rabbit finally took the opportunity to catch Alice!

Why is this a choice? & which did u choose??

The kid could use a life lesson here - save the bunny.

The granddaughter could use the lesson as well : it's her fault if the bunny escapes, she shouldn't have let it loose.

I too remember many life lessons from when I was 2 years old.

Goblin182 26

How was that even something you had to think about?

If that was actually a choice in your mind, you're a terrible person.

This doesn't sound like OP actually thought of it as a choice. It sounds more like the rabbit got loose, they started toward the rabbit, then noticed the 2 year old climbing and had to change course. Also, because of the way the brain works, yes, it WOULD be presented as a choice in the mind, even if only on the most subconscious level. When the human brain notices two things that need action taken against them, it still has to weigh up the cost vs reward regardless of whether it's obvious that one is more important. Seriously, getting on OP's case for this is ridiculous. It's like saying that if someone is standing in front of their child and something is going to hit the adult, that they're a bad person for their brains kneejerk reaction of "I am going to be hit. I should move" vs the same-time thought of "If I move, my child will be hot. I cannot move." Every situation like this is framed as a 'choice' by the brain, even when it already knows the answer. That is how human brains work.

Hit not hot. That it a horribly unfortunate autocorrect, as well as pointless and incorrect.

You might want to check your autocorrect before criticising some body else's.

I'm not sure if you are referring to me correcting my own comment, or if you are failing at English while trying to criticize me for having errors in my comment focused on pointing out that people have forgotten to account for the way the human brain works. Either way, your comment sort of failed.

I don't agree with spanking, and I'm sure you chose your grandson over the bunny (obv), but this is a great time to educate your granddaughter (and grandson) that actions have consequences even if it's unintentional. I'm sure they both loved that bunny but now it's gone and if you get another one it isn't the same as the last one but if they want another one perhaps make them wait a while (to show them that point) and/or perhaps make them work* for another one (to teach responsibility; *work being whatever you do for a 4 y/o).

Choose the rabbit obviously. The kid will only fall, hardly a big deal, but the rabbit may never be seen again if it ran away. There is literally no decision here, it would definitely be the rabbit.