By broke - 09/07/2016 07:36

Today, just like the past 2 weeks, I'm so broke that I only got to eat dinner because I went on a first date with a guy from Tinder. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 445
You deserved it 2 693

Same thing different taste

Top comments

rldostie 19

I feel a little bad for your dates. No one likes to be used for money. Maybe I'm just a little too feminist, but I don't think it's fair that men are expected to pay for all the dates, or all of the date, and I don't think it's fair that some women use men for a free meal ticket. Now, if you genuinely were on a date with him and looking for an honest connection or hook up, then maybe okay? Still, ramen diners cost under a dollar and while not nutritious in the least, at least no one is being used.

Im honestly not sure who to feel bad for - you or your dates. I can relate waiting to getting paid and not really having food in the house, but to use dates for food is sad and hurtful to your date. Mind you, Ive never been on Tinder, and not sure 100% what that is other than guessing its a dating app (site?)

Comments

You need to eat, and I won't fault you for doing what you have to, but is there any better way? Friends or family you can ask for help? Extra costs you can cut down on, or an odd job you can do? At the very least take left overs home to cut down on frequency.

Hey, if the guys involved aren't complaining, I don't see where's the harm. ...Are they?

quarterbird 18

How can the guy complain if he doesn't know that he's being used? I doubt that she's being upfront about the fact that she's gonna go on a first date with them for the purpose of scoring a free meal.

It's entirely possible her date asked her out and she stated she couldn't afford it. He may have then offered to pay in order to have the opportunity to meet anyway. I have had situations like that. Everyone is assuming OP has taken advantage of her date, but I like to assume she was honest and he offered. Not everyone is an ass, ya know. We really don't have enough information.

quarterbird 18

If that was the case, she'd likely have said so instead of basically confessing that she's leading guys on for free meals. Nice try.

She might have just been stretching the story to get her fml published, because if she stated that they knew, I doubt it would've been published. People reveal the worst parts of the story to get published, only for the real story or catch up to not even be that bad or fml worthy.

She never mentioned leading guys on for meals. She stated the only reason she had a meal was because she went on a date. Still, could go either way: she was up front or he made it known he would pay, or your version that she's using guys. You're still assuming the negative. Nice try.

Does it specify anywhere that she only went on the date for the free food? Maybe she already had a connection with this guy and she's just saying that her only dinner this week happened to coincide with a date she already had planned. Things will get better, OP!

Just about everyone I know has been in a spot where they may not have enough money for food. Get a payday loan, pawn something, ask a friend or family member for help, ask your church or local food bank for assistance. There's plenty that you can do for yourself in lieu of taking advantage of someone.

mermaidgirle 12

Except OP is already broke. A payday loan will only perpetuate that cycle until she is so far in debt it's unbelievable. The rest your advice is ok though. :)

This is what food banks are for, not first dates.

that sucks . i hope thing get better four you

I saw this FML after reading a blog where a woman lived off 10GBP per week and managed to feed her young son too. She came up with some really useful recipes with basic stuff and has tons of tips if you're broke. Hoping OP sees this and maybe gets some tips from it, I don't think I can post a link here but it's called "Cooking on a Bootstap" by A girl called Jack.

I've totally done this. Suggest a picnic date as well, that way they bring more food

Geez, just go to a food bank or ask someone close, not waste other people's time and money.

quarterbird 18

With any luck, a pigeon will shit on you the next time you pull your picnic stunt.

obvious_lee 9

Congrats on being a manipulative piece of trash.

Thanks. Congrats on being a judgemental asshole. I'm guessing mommy and daddy are always there to bail you out.

So I'm the only one who thinks this is awfully clever? FYL, I've been poor, so I'm giving you top marks on your survival skills. You've got to use the resources you have at your disposal.

tarlax 11

Is it morally right? Of course not, but it's still clever. But like other people have said, go to a damn food bank or ask friends for help, rather than manipulating people when you still have other options.

It's not really clever though. Unfortunately, people use people all the time.

Try to pretend like using people isn't already a norm in society.

moocowmilk0 19