By sakura_girl - 04/11/2011 11:59 - United Kingdom

Today, it was my first time taking blood on the ward. The doctor saw that I was nervous and gave me a violent old man with schizophrenia who thought I was there to kill him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 765
You deserved it 2 958

sakura_girl tells us more.

Patient needs routine blood investigations; medical student needs more experience. That's the gist of it.

Top comments

Well, after dealing with that, you should be able to deal with everyone else no problem!

I'm guessing you earned enough experience to take blood from any other patient there then!

Comments

At least it' ll give you experience...

perdix 29

With your inexperience and nervousness, he might be right. He may be psychotic thinking you are intentionally trying to kill him, but dead is dead.

tsim_fml 0

just remember your angles and go just past the bevel and you'll be fine the worst that could happen is you'll give someone a hematoma and trust me it happens to everyone a few times in their career and it doesn't even hurt the patient they'll just look like a drug addict for a few days : )

Thanks for the advice, at least when the doctor tried after my attempt, she couldn't do it either. Not so good for the patient though, some poor sod would have to try later.

kickazz16 15

Lol I can't believe op commented!

How is a haematoma the worst thing that could happen? Sometimes I wish I led such a sheltered life...Is a needlestick injury with a hollow-bore needle, and nasty subsequent post-exposure HIV prophylaxis, and fear of HIV / Hep not a worry for you guys? I downright refuse to take blood from very difficult patients, unless they are being chemically and physically sedated...that was pretty shitty of the doctor though - I still remember my first time, in 3rd year, it was a morbidly obese man, with no veins to speak of, who wasn't in the best mood cos he had just had an MI, needless to say, I couldn't get the blood and felt pretty useless - it's ok though, I'm now 2 years out of med school and can successfully take blood from recently deceased people (provided someone is doing chest compressions ;), it all comes with practice, just like driving a car (oh, and remember how you felt when the doctor did that to you, it will give you a lot of empathy towards younger students when you are a senior student or doctor, and at least someone will benefit from a shitty situation - good luck! :)

lol that's why you don't reuse needles so you don't spread diseases that has nothing to do with the blood test if she gave someone HIV that would be because she wasn't responsible with clean needles not how she performed the blood test or inserted the needle.

Was he restrained? Just put your leg behind their tricep and the other in front of their forearm. The patient won't be able to move it leaving you in the clear for a good stick.

Huh? I'm not retarded, I realize one shouldn't reuse needles, I'm talking about NEEDLESTICK INJURIES - I thought you were a doctor? How come you don't know what a needlestick injury is - it is when a health care provider pricks themselves with a needle / blade used to suture / inject / gain IV access / take blood from / incise a patient, thereafter there is a protocol of testing ones own and the patient's hep and HIV status, and taking prophylactic ARVs depending on the results of these tests. The risks of needlesticks are much greater in confused and uncooperative patients, hence my previous comment...

Though I know this kid who got a screwy vaccination. He nearly died, has mental disorder, and they sued them for millions. But you are just taking blood. No worries.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Patient needs routine blood investigations; medical student needs more experience. That's the gist of it.

kkelseymaee 2
KiddNYC1O 20

A medical student called Sakura? Do you perhaps happen to be a shinobi? :P

Had to Google that one, a medical ninja, huh. Have always love Sakura, as a name, and as a flower.

He'll be hokagai one day! BELIEVE IT!

Well, if you screw up, no one will believe him.

If you had been my medical student, I would have given you a demented old woman on warfarin with tiny, rolling veins. Good luck, grasshopper. This was a trial by fire, and success is the best motivator.

Thanks for cheering me up, Doc. Interesting profile picture, I enjoyed skimming through your blog just now. Checkerboard lady, enough said... looking forward to more from the Trauma Bay.

Did you really have to bring me into it Doc? I feel so sorry for anybody that has to try to stick me. I have hypercoagulopathy :-/ Good luck in your career OP! That will probably be the worst patient you have other than someone like me.lol