By gmnesbitt - 07/12/2011 05:26 - United States

Today, it was my first time as a hockey referee, for a game played by 7-year-olds. At one point, a little boy tripped another boy. Doing my job, I gave him 2 minutes in the penalty box. After the game, I was attacked by a mob of parents. I was even given an optometrist's business card. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 988
You deserved it 2 565

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're a referee, expect people to hate you.

Susieee_Q 9

Ahh parents during their children's sporting events and whatnot.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
bizarre_ftw 21

Lol XD I love obvious attempts to save face through editing

Isa_fml 20

God, hockey parents can be ******* insane. It's not your fault!

You're a referee - if you take out the home team's star player and they lose, of course the home crowd is going to whoop your ass like angry mobs (I'm assuming a lot here but **** it you know it's most likely true).

Don't worry everything will get better with time you'll be fine if u just don't do your job :P

mrz1177 11

Maybe you shouldn't give penalties that easy considering the fact that THEY'RE SEVEN YEAR OLDS!

compasseagle89 8

why? because they're 7 and shouldn't be taught the difference between overly aggressive and competitive behavior?

And in the end, all the kids got "I'm #1" trophies and went out for ice cream. No - no more of this coddling kiddie sports bullshit.

Actually, you train them the right way. There is a huge difference between just falling and a trip. If you actually watch and play hockey, maybe you would understand. Dipshit.

IAM_CANADIAN 5

I agree with this guy, there 7 years old ! Most of them can barely skate, if they do something wrong you remind them, sending them to the box makes you look like an idiot. Some people really need to learn hockey before they talk, go watch a 7 year old game and tell me what you see

If a kid trips another kid on the playground, he gets a time-out. If a kid trips another kid on the rink, he gets a time-out. Seems to me like they're enforcing the same kind of discipline the kids should be getting in other areas of life, too. Nothing too grown-up for them to handle.

desireev 17

Ya don't give them penalties!!! So they will grow up and NEVER know how to really play hockey and they will NEVER know the rules!!! Dumb ass!!!

Get used to it. Parents trying to somehow correct all the failure that is their life by pushing their kids into sports are the worse. You can tell the parents are pushing their kids when they care more about the outcome of the game than the players.

That's what scholarships do to parents...

Haha, in sweden this saturday there was à game with 11year olds. There was à match penalty, and their parants started to fight violently, people got knocked out and so on, police had to come! Parents are ****** up! FYL, i know how it is, im à hockey referee aswell!

Every parent believes that their kid did no wrong and any call made against their kid is cheating and looking to help the other team. Its lose lose really. If you call you have that team's parents after you. If you don't call you have the opposing team's parents after you.

You should have gave a 2 minute penalty to the parents also haha (: