By Frenchgirl - 16/09/2011 01:42 - United States

Today, it was my first day at school in the United States. Being from France, my French accent is really strong. After being made fun of all day, I met someone from Montreal. I was so excited and said, "Parlez-vous Français?" And his response? "HUH?!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 247
You deserved it 6 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

I love the french language. French accents are pretty too. Don't let retarded people get you down!

Being from Canada, I do know that the French that is spoken in Montreal is different than that which is spoken in France. It is almost like two different languages.

The difference between quebec french and france french is like the difference between north american english and british english.

65 - Good comparison. Alan - you'd have to consider how to address people too - we use 'tu' and 'vous' here, whereas in France I believe you'd only use 'vous'. Correct me if I'm wrong... I'm going by my vague memory of what my professor said.

Awww! T'en fait pas! Vous vous seriez peut-être même pas compris avec les 2 accents si different. Je niaise (blague) :P

Why would you even say "parlez-vous français" and not "tu parles français"? You said it was school and not work... And as the other guys said, why would people have fun of you? Somehow I think this FML is rather made up by a French-hater or in any case not a French person.

Cheer up. It's better than speaking Chinese. At least the French teacher will understand you. Whereas there's no Chinese teacher.

Senior29 8

i thought americans were against racism?

Not all Americans are the same -.- je ne suis pas American.... Je suis canadienne et je ne parle pas français, tout les canadiens ne parle pas français....

Senior29 8

don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll fit in sooner or later. if not, their loss.

slushpup9696 12

They made fun of your accent?! Sometimes I'm a bit ashamed to be American...

leadman1989 15

Americans make fun of other American accents the rest of the world makes fun of American accents and they also make fun of each others accents. What I'm ashamed of is that we're in a position to help so many people yet we choose to fight senseless conflicts. But I still love this country very much my life would suck without it if I were even still alive. :)

Allie_W 4

sadly agreed... tisk tisk tisk... their loss on a cool person.

ikickgingers 15

"What does mama say about little boys who aren't polite?" "Little boys who aren't polite give the pro choice a better reason to exist." I like to think everyone from Minnesota talks like Stuart and his mom from mad tv. :)

leadman1989 15

Bring croissants... you will be loved! Also I'm assuming you're very young that French accent is gonna get you laid sooo much later on. Guys and gals (if that's your thing) go crazy for that. ;)

Made fun of your accent, I have been made fun of my accent to, but mine accent are swedish instead of french

Swedish is the funniest accent ever :)