By Anonymous - 07/02/2015 21:03 - United States - Edison

Today, it was my birthday. My boyfriend made me breakfast in bed, then we went out shopping, had a picnic, watched a good romcom, had a fancy dinner, and ended the day with great sex. And when the clock struck twelve, he dumped me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 48 429
You deserved it 3 533

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Thinkitthrough 23

Oh that sucks OP. Happy birthday! On one hand he at least made it a happy ending... but I still think it's messed up to pretend like everything is great when it's not. I'm sorry OP

Yes and no. I agree he made it a good day. And it was thoughtful to not dump her on her actual birthday. On the other hand, I personally will feel crushed from being dumped if I don't see it coming. Usually break ups happen after some thought. I think OP is more hurt that she didn't expect it.

Comments

That was a terrible thing to have happen, however as previously stated, that's about as nice as it could be done. Sorry, OP

Everyone says it was nice of him to give you a good day, but personally, I disagree. I think it was more painful of him to build you up then break you down rather than simply stating that he wanted to break up. Either way, I'm very sorry OP, but I know you'll feel better soon.

Totally agree with this. Dumping someone isn't a (usually) decision you make in a split second. Lots of time and thought goes into it. He could have done it earlier or he could have at least waited until sometime tomorrow when the two of you had been apart for a while.

True, but maybe he thought it would be worse to dump her right before her birthday. So he waited and gave her a great day. Then again, if he waited that long he could have waited another day or two rather than dump her right at the end of her birthday... I don't know, I never understand people.

Allornone 35

THIS. I think it's downright cruel to portray this perfect fantasy before ripping it away. it's almost like when a cat taunts and plays with the mouse before letting it die. it's more humane to just kill it.

Agree with 12 but I have to say, I don't think he meant to be cruel. He probably was just trying to break up in the nicest way possible, he just didn't consider it properly from OPs point of view. Still, I guess a break up will hurt either way so...

I think it was incredibly ****** up. hope can be a terrible thing and who knows what was going through the OPs mind about their future together for him to just dump her. It's just awful :( I don't know what the bf intentions were, but I'm not feeling like they were kind. If you want to destroy someone, make sure they remember you before you go, and make sure it lingers for the rest of their life. Was that his intention? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't discount it.

I agree with this. The better someone feels about a relationship, the worse they will feel when it's gone. At least, from my experiences, that's my opinion.

I do think that to break up with someone the moment their birthday ends? Not only is that going to make that day suck for a while and they will probably think of it every year on a day that is supposed to be really special - but they might get worried when they get a new partner that the same thing will happen. It would stop me being able to enjoy my birthday. i think it is messed up though his intentions might have been nice. And okay it wasn't on OP's birthday - it was straight after - I really think he should have waited a few days and distanced himself during that time.

I kinda want to give him props for not dumping you on your birthday. Also he made it a kick ass day before he dumped you.

The dick move here is not telling OP about your feeling or displeasures. It might seem nice to finish on a high but how can OP trust anybody in the future if you pull such a charade of making it seem like everything is fine when you knew it was not. If you have a problem with your partner you talk about it and try to work it out or decide to split. You do not plan a nice day just to brake-up with someone after that. It is better to be painful before the birthday then deceitful just after the day. Pain heals faster then trust.

I agree. I think he should've done it before her birthday. Even the day before wouldn't have been so bad as pretending everything's fine during and breaking up that night. Personally, I don't think it's right to pretend or to lead someone one (holiday/birthday or not). I feel like once you've decided to break up with someone one, you do it as soon as you see them next.

At least he made your day special. I've never had such a romantic day and probably never will.

Wow, he had pretty much everything well planned in advance. Sucks to be you.

It's nice that he waited until after your birthday, and he gave you a good birthday too. It is unfortunate that he left though, FYL

I think it is important not to dump someone on their birthday - I don't think it is 'nice', I think it is expected - a decent thing to do but not something to be really thankful for. And he dumped her a minute after - that is ridiculously soon after.

you should talk to him. there must have been something big behind him dumping you. I guess that's y he didn't want to do it on ur birthday occasion. but either way, I feel sorry for you OP

Tigron_fml 6

so you're single.....how you doing? ;-)