By omgwtf - 18/10/2009 15:32 - United States

Today, it was Homecoming. During the dance, I saw this mentally handicapped guy ask this pretty girl to dance. She said no. So I went over to him and asked him to dance. He replied that he only wanted to dance with "pretty girls" and I was not one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 774
You deserved it 5 529

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Turnip_Girl 0

Even the mentally retarded have standards. Sucks to be you. :(

im sure your beautiful don't let one persons opinion decide your confidence

Comments

Aw, that sucks. After all, you did a nice thing. The "pretty girl" probably didn't want to dance with him just because the was mentally challenged. FYL

Un_Luckey_One 0

Maybe if you had a brain to know that saying, "mentally retard" is offensive and just out and out wrong, you could get someone to dance with you. But people with special needs are people too and are still pretty smart (and I can tell he was because he didn't dance with you).

letitbe56 0

Actually, mental retardation is still the clinical and legal term for that kind of disorder. While it's certainly not PC to use it as an insult, I see nothing wrong with simply using it to describe the individual in a neutral way. And while autistic people can still have high IQ's, very low IQ is one of the main diagnostic measures for mental retardation. So no, they're not that smart. And I'm not saying it as an insult, just as a fact.

letitbe56 0

Are you sure it's retardation then, and not a cognitive disorder? Because a low IQ (70 or lower) is required for a diagnosis of mental retardation. Cognitive disorders (eg dyslexia) involve difficulties processing certain kinds of information. There are also communication disorders, where people have difficulty understanding/producing language.

[shrugs] Perhaps that's more accurate. I was thinking more the traditional meaning for "retard," like to be regressed, underdeveloped, or delayed. So... I tend to think of it all as some form of retardation lol Also, where have you been? I haven't seen your name in a while, it seems.

Un_Luckey_One 0

Yes I'm aware that mentally retarded is still used as a diagnoses, for one of my sister's with Down Syndrome (who is very intelligent) just turned six and now has the MR label. Politically Incorrect and hurtful it is. I pains me every time I read or see it, for I have two sister with Down Syndrome. And I think of them and what they'll have to go through, and it isn't fair. Because the world is cruel and heartless, but my sisters love everyone and are the 2 most beautiful, fun, caring, loving, and outgoing persons you'll ever meet.

letitbe56 0

I can understand being sad about what your sisters will have to go through, and I can tell that you are very protective of them and care for them deeply. However, diagnosing them with mental retardation is neither politically incorrect nor hurtful. It's nothing more than a label describing a set of symptoms and behaviors, applied for consistency's sake. It is no more hurtful than saying they have Down syndrome, or that someone has schizophrenia, or scoliosis. The real villains here are those who take a neutral term and turn it into an insult, when saying something they don't like is "retarded" or calling someone they don't like a "retard." Not people like the OP who are just being frank, calling a spade a spade as it were. And maybe the OP was wrong about what this guy had. Maybe he really had something on the autism spectrum. There are any number of things he could have had. But given her attempt to make a kind gesture, I don't think it's reasonable to accuse her of using the term insultingly.

arienh4 0

#21 Please don't compare autistic with mentally challenged, that kind of black and white thinking is really ignorant.

Um mentally retarded is a term.The way people use it makes it sound offensive

mathow 3

I agree with 183. Retard is not an offensive word. Retardation just means that they are slowed down. Maybe it wasn't the best weird choice, but it is still politically correct.

crazyladydaisy 4

It would help if you actually took the time to READ the post. It says "mentally hadicapped." not "retard". Get your head out of your ass Douche bag.

KingCeltic77 18

She said " MENTALLY HANDICAPPED" not " NENTALLY RETARDED". Learn to read, dumbass.

Your the one telling her not to be offensive!! Did u read ur comment before u posted jerk!

hberri331 18

There are plenty of words that are consider medical terms of legit descriptive words of an illness but that doesn't mean thAt they are not extremely offensive and impolite to use. And if someone was using retard or cripple to describe you or someone you love I think it would bother you.

So much for trying to be nice. That really sucks.

The amount of closed minded comments about people with mental disabilities id disgusting. Especially you number 8! Its not the kids fault that he has problems, and what you said was just plain wrong and disgusting.

Shanx 0

ydi for showing sympathy to a sped

GrammarNaziFTW 0

I guarantee you every person with mental retardation is so much smarter than you. You have ignorance that makes you look so stupid

Try saying "mentally disabled" and maybe you'll get a date or two.

He's not disabled though. He can still think. His thought process is just slow compared to others - slow, or its adjective, retarded. Saying he's mentally disabled would make his condition sound a lot worse.

Oh...so you guys sure that she didn't genuinely like him and actually wanted to dance?

u did a nice thing an that's what counts :) good for u

humblebumble 1

LMAO, I find this hilarious. But seriously though, I'm sorry. This kid sounds like a douchebag, I don't care if he's retarded, he's obviously been surrounded by too many yes-men type people and too much encouragement. He probably genuinely thinks he can get the prettiest girls.