By water fail - 28/01/2016 11:42 - New Zealand - Auckland

Today, it was an extremely hot day so I hit up the beach for a swim. Just as I entered the water, the first wave approached me. I tried to jump it and lost my footing, managing to dislocate my hip. I had to be dragged from the water by the lifeguards. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 412
You deserved it 2 313

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Steve97 32

On the bright side at least it's not -20 and winter where you are :p

Comments

Look on the bright side, it wasn't a shark. I'd rather have this happen to me than a damn shark

Just be happy it's not one of those unsupervised beaches.

I hope that the lifeguard was at least attractive for you, OP

ndnpride88 25

At least you got to go swimming. Hope you heal quickly

At least you got to get cool by the water.

Same exact thing happened to my friend a long time ago when we went to the beach! Except it was her knee, not her hip.

Dislocating a hip joint takes blunt force trauma. My surgeon who did my hip replacement said you'd need to either fall from a considerable height and hit the ground hard or be in a serious car accident. It's very difficult to dislocate a hip joint I doubt a wave would cause enough force to do that. You could sprain the area and inflame it but dislocating it would be very hard, unless your osteoporotic or have had a hip replacement.

"To actually dislocate a healthy hip a great deal of force needs to be applied. Motor vehicle accidents are the most common ways that hip dislocations occur. Falls from great heights such as ladders can also generate enough force to dislocate a hip. Older individuals are more likely to have this injury due to decreased bone density." This is a direct quote from Wikipedia about hip dislocations and like I in my above post I doubt water and tripping could cause enough force to dislocate one of the biggest joints in the human body so I'm sorry but I am not fully accepting you dislocated your hip unless you're old or have pre-existing hip issues.

aeryn97 17

don't use Wikipedia as a medical source. that's like googling symptoms. find it in a medical journal if you want it to be credible. I could go edit that entry to say whatever I believe and I have zero medical qualifications.

Every wiki edit is reviewed and changed back if not found legitimate. This isn't the year 2000 anymore. You can actually be warned and IP/ISP banned if you continue to make false edits on wikipedia. Schools don't like you using it because it's literally the easiest place to get information from.

I've actually dislocated my hip falling off my roof and I've got extensive knowledge VIA doctors so irregardless of whether Wikipedia is good or not it's 100% correct here thanks.

No you can't edit Wikipedia with false information, not anymore at least. All posts are moderated and they make sure the information's valid so no you're not correct here and your post on my comment is mute.