By Checkpoint96 - 30/07/2016 16:25 - Australia - Victoria Point

Today, it's the fourth day in a row that I've been kept awake by my grandmother's snoring. I want to be pissed off, but she has sleep apnea, and I feel guilty for even wanting her to shut the hell up. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 594
You deserved it 1 278

Checkpoint96 tells us more.

Hi, OP here. Thank you all for your suggestions, I have not mentioned to her that her snoring keeps me awake, as I think that would be rude, especially as she can not do much about it. For all those telling me that I should tell her, or that it is fatal, she knows she has it, and she is also aware that it is fatal, as is my entire family. She is just one of those people who stubbornly refuses to get treated for anything, as 'it can't possibly be that bad'. My family and I have talked to her about getting a CPAP machine, but as I mentioned before, she stubbornly refuses to do anything about it.

Top comments

Either get some earplugs for when you sleep or politely tell her about the problem and try to figure out another solution

Comments

Both my mom and I have been using CPAP machine as we both suffer from sleep apnea. If it's light to medium apnea then some dentists can make a mouth piece she just puts in her mouth when sleeping and it can help as well. This would not only help your sleep but can help your grandmother a lot as sleep apnea can be a hell that makes her very tired all day long.

msmedieval 11

My sister had severe sleep apnea that needed surgery to fix. I know exactly how frustrated you feel. For the time being, when her snoring gets bad, try to gently turn her to her side. That will stop the snoring long enough for you to fall asleep.

Get her to a doc. If possible, get her on CPAP. Both problems solved.

I can relate. My sister has sleep apnea and her snoring is atrocious. However, I can say, you eventually get used to it. In the mean time, hang in there.

My dad has sleep apnea. Trust me, you're not wrong for feeling this way!

dragoongirl90 34

Sleep apnea can actually kill her. Saying something could actually save her life.

She already knows she has sleep apnea.

Take the couch outside ... And sleep peacefully under the star...with a can of off under your pillow....

If she doesn't get a CPAP it might just end on its own one night.

Hi, OP here. Thank you all for your suggestions, I have not mentioned to her that her snoring keeps me awake, as I think that would be rude, especially as she can not do much about it. For all those telling me that I should tell her, or that it is fatal, she knows she has it, and she is also aware that it is fatal, as is my entire family. She is just one of those people who stubbornly refuses to get treated for anything, as 'it can't possibly be that bad'. My family and I have talked to her about getting a CPAP machine, but as I mentioned before, she stubbornly refuses to do anything about it.

Pity she won't even give it a shot. When I woke up the first morning after using a CPAP machine, I had this weird, light, alert feeling, and I was wondering why, until suddenly it hit me that it was because I wasn't waking up fatigued. I function so much better now.

OP, if your Grandma knows that sleep apnea can be fatal but still refuses to look into getting a CPAP machine, has she tried anything else to help with the apnea? I've read sleeping on your back can make it easier for your airways to close up at night when you are relaxed and asleep, so it might be worth suggesting she try sleeping on her side or stomach if she doesn't already. If she is more comfortable on her back, sometimes elevating the upper body with pillows can help keep the throat and airways more open at night. I know how bad my Dad's snoring was before he got his CPAP, so I really feel for you OP. Best of luck!

My wife doesn't have sleep apnea but snores terribly. I bought JVC marshmallow ear buds, they are basically ear plugs with speakers. I sleep in them and listen to my iPod. end up rolling over and they pop out from time to time each night but while they are in, it's usually more than enough time to get my needed sleep.

Ugh I have sleep apnea too. I hate the CPAP! So uncomfortable. You should try to convince her to use it though because she probably doesn't feel very well without one!

I actually quite enjoy my CPAP. Although, the downside is that whenever I get any sort of wind or breeze on my face, I always get a little tired because my body thinks it's time to go to bed.