By VedaLynn - 03/12/2012 23:01 - United States

Today, it's my 21st birthday and my dad has decided to take away my ID in fear that if I have even one drink to celebrate I'll become a raging alcoholic. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 023
You deserved it 2 683

Same thing different taste

Top comments

zingline89 18

That's exactly why I'm a virgin to this day. I'm afraid of becoming addicted to sex. Yeah. That's it.

Surely it's your choice if you did drink? Take it back and tell him to get out of your business.

Comments

puggy74 5
RvidxrKlvn 8

Very much. This is why people over do it when they're at the legal age to drink, their parents never showed them how to drink responsively.

13- Usually I drink responsively to celebrations and special occasions. You know, because drinking responsively is where it's at!

RvidxrKlvn 8

15- I agree completely. My comment was directed more at the people that abuse it.

You never know, he maybe hiding some unflattering family history.

Me too, 15... I also drink responsively to stress, but I'm pretty responsible about that, and never have more than one or two drinks when that's the case.

25-I wasn't even that clever with it. Where is Pleonism when you need him!

RvidxrKlvn 8

Baustigt, either i am too tired or i really am stupid but i still don't get it. Lol. I'll just accept this fail i guess.

Yeah, just accept it and go back to your cave. :)

It's actually illegal to take someone's ID from them unless you are law enforcement with a reason to. OP is an adult so if he wanted to be very mean about it he could report it.

Schizomaniac 24

28, you meant RESPONSIBLY, not RESPONSIVELY. Jesus in toast.

BlueFlatts 20

22 is the old 21, just be sure to take his license away when he hits 60.

savona01 7

Makes total sense to me! Good luck with the rest of life's little moments...FYL indeed

Haha here in Australia we can drink at 18 (:

Op, that's why you get a passport, works just as good as any ID when you need one.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

While I admit, you should of never had it taken away in this first place, this was the first thing that came to mind. The second thing that came to mind was : There is nothing wrong with living at home, but if they are that crazy, move out.

I don't think they give you an actual ID on the spot.

19- While a marvelous thought, its not exactly possible for everyone.

hotPinklipstick 24

19- Should have* I wasn't going to correct you, but it was seriously bugging me. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi.

nnnope 26

#3 is right, to an extent...OP can go to the DMV to have the ID duplicated, but DMVs tend to have awful hours. OP should remind his/her dad that what he did is against the law, and then have his/her ID duplicated anyway.

nnnope 26

47: OH DEAR GOD I JUST READ HER USERNAME. D:

52- From your World of Warcraft reference I can't help but think that the Odin's Raven thing is a reference to Smite, the greatest game ever. You do play right? Or do you have some secret Norse mythology religion I am unaware of?

I'm not sure if its the same everywhere, but where I live it costs money to get a new ID, so if it were me, I would be getting mine back from my dad.

No, it was a Ron Burgundy reference. It was in the outtakes and I found it rather clever.

randomthing 22

Yeah, and 21 is really high drinking age, anyway. The USA is a funny place.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I don't think one drink will murder his/her liver forever.

Pretty_Pink_Lady 10

And it doesn't matter if drinking is bad for you. Being a concerned parent doesn't give anyone the right to make life choices for their adult son or daughter.

BlueFlatts 20

Who has ever only had one drink on his/her 21st? Just got to be safe and have a dd or stay the night.

A little wine every day is actually healthfully beneficial to the body.

zingline89 18

That's exactly why I'm a virgin to this day. I'm afraid of becoming addicted to sex. Yeah. That's it.

If you don't have enough willpower, don't do anything fun in life. That's the best way to live...

6-me too!! Isn't it great to have such high morals? *sulks quietly in a corner*

Some people just don't drink. I don't either. I can't see myself drinking something that smells horrible on your breathe judging people who I encountered that drink and the fact that screws your brain up. I just want to drink butter beer or orange creme soda. That shit tastes way better than any alcoholic drink. =]

Geometric 18

Maybe to allay his concerns you should tell him that you will drink at first under his supervision as a way to show him that you are responsible enough to handle yourself, otherwise I don't see how you can get your ID back.

There are plenty of ways to get the ID back, seeing as they are a grown adult. It'd be different if the father took it from an teen, however he has no actual legal say in whether his child has an ID and drinks it not.

It could be possible that alcoholism runs in the family.

It's time to confront your father about this.

Acting like alcoholism is such a great disease? Yes, it can be genetically passed down to be more susceptible to it, but that's it. People over react.

Well it's a weekday anyway. Wait for him to give it back and just save the celebration for the weekend.

Surely it's your choice if you did drink? Take it back and tell him to get out of your business.