By heaventlyassbutt - 30/11/2016 12:45 - United States - Brooklyn

Today, it's been two years since I graduated with my master's. It's also been the same amount of time since I've been looking for a job. I got an e-mail yesterday from a company for a telephone interview which I was happy about. The day of the interview, my phone is disconnected. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 981
You deserved it 1 011

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I had a similar experience. I could not afford my phone bill and missed a voicemail that was left that offered me an interview. By the time I could pay it, it was too late. (If your bill is not paid on time you can not even listen to your voicemail with that company) I wish you good luck.

Xquisite1 28

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP being unemployed played a major role in the phone being disconnected rather than the OP just "forgetting" to pay the bill?

Comments

Yeah but you could go to a friends house or a family members house to use their phone. Also don't forget to pay the bill next time.

Xquisite1 28

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP being unemployed played a major role in the phone being disconnected rather than the OP just "forgetting" to pay the bill?

Come on 12, that's crazy. Everyone knows that unemployed people know of a secret money tree which they are allowed to use to pay bills.

You know what a burner phone is, right? They are cheap and anyone can afford them.

I had a similar experience. I could not afford my phone bill and missed a voicemail that was left that offered me an interview. By the time I could pay it, it was too late. (If your bill is not paid on time you can not even listen to your voicemail with that company) I wish you good luck.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

That very encouraging, I just signed up for my Master's yesterday.

I've always noticed that when people claim they can't find work with their advanced degree, they never tell us what the degree is in. That would be useful for people considering getting a degree in that field.

And yesterday I got criticized for proposing a humorous solution to a work problem! Sheesh! I can't win with you people!

I'm not sure why you're getting down voted. That information would be good to know.

tounces7 27

Maybe lower your standards for awhile and just take what you can get for now to pay the bills? Unemployment rate is pretty low right now, not too hard to find a job.

Brightbulb 39

Many companies will not take someone with an advanced degree (not even most shops and eating establishments) as they expect that person to move on rapidly. I had to actually not put my degrees on my applications after over a year of searching to get an entry level job just to pay my bills. Trust me before I resorted to not disclosing my degrees I was not even picky about the company offering any kind of benefits, not even insurance.

I've always wondered about this - what did you say you were doing for the year or two that you were actually doing an advanced degree?

Brightbulb 39

They asked about the gap in employment, I told them I was handling 'personal matters with family' during that time. They didn't get to in-depth with their questioning as I worked most of the time I was I school.

gradyolson 10

Also depends greatly on which state you live in and how old you are, while the overall unemployment rate in the Us is lower from last year its still in the 20's if I remember correctly, California for example is in the high 30's and for Men age 18-24 in the US its around 28% so its still tuff out there, hell I have a part time job and I'm still looking for a second one. Good luck op I wish you the best.

Brightbulb 39

I was thinking they may have been meaning the percentage of Americans who do not hold a job (a little under 48%). However it must be kept in mind that includes retired persons, willingly unemployed and many other groups. The actual unemployment rate is at 5.1% (those that are actively seeking employment, and do not have employment.

I'd use Skype for a phone interview anyway, much less chance of getting disconnected or having a crap line.

Your posts tend to follow a "_____ _____ OP!!" pattern. "Tough luck OP!!" "That sucks OP!!" "I'm sorry OP!"

That's probably the most words he can put together in a row.

hey, he's just got a pattern down that he's comfy with. and at least you always know what to expect. some revolutionary different form of the same sentence :')

How sad. I'm sorry! But more opportunities to come right? (:

Would it be possible to talk to your phone company about letting you keep your phone open for one more day. Explaining to them that it is for an interview so if you get the job you can actually pay the money and be a reliable customer for them? It probably can't be done, but it never hurts to try, right?