By babysonfire - 31/03/2016 21:40 - United States

Today, I woke up to the sounds of fire alarms. Panicked and assuming it was my neighbor's gas furnace that set it off, I nearly broke their baby's bedroom window trying to wake them up. Turns out my roof leaked into the fire alarm, causing an electrical fire. It was my first day here. FML
I agree, your life sucks 16 866
You deserved it 2 347

babysonfire tells us more.

OP here. I wanted to add that this all happened at 3AM during a thunderstorm. The neighbors didn't answer their door until the firefighters knocked. The fire didn't start until they were already here, so there was no smoke at first. The storm blew loose shingles off in 1 place- over the alarm.

Top comments

Well, you can't really be blamed for this because you were only doing what you thought was right and it was really nice of you.

It was your first day, they can't blame you for trying to help.

Comments

The leaky roof was more than likely already there. The electrical fire caused by that leak is more the fault of whoever is in charge of property upkeep during times of vacancy.

I dont think anyone could really blame you for this OP. And kudos to you for trying to be a good Samaritan and neighbor. Hope it gets better for you in your new place, good luck! :)

Wait, the fire alarm caught on fire? Now *that's* irony, Alanis.

That can't be helped. But if I was your neighbour and you'd helped my family like that, I would be eternally grateful. You seem like a very nice person!

The world needs more neighbors like you! Even if this was on your part, it's nice to know you are willing to jump in like that so quickly.

If it's your first day there.. how do you know they have a gas furnace or a baby?

DeadxManxWalking 27

least they have someone they can trust to get their baby out

OP here. I wanted to add that this all happened at 3AM during a thunderstorm. The neighbors didn't answer their door until the firefighters knocked. The fire didn't start until they were already here, so there was no smoke at first. The storm blew loose shingles off in 1 place- over the alarm.