By Screwed Up - 09/05/2013 05:30 - United States

Today, I went to therapy. I started talking about my childhood and my life. By the time the session was over my therapist was crying. FML
I agree, your life sucks 66 419
You deserved it 4 296

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Or maybe your therapist needs therapy?

rt567 15

I've been in therapy too, but for the ability to adjust to life right now in a wheelchair, but maybe something you mentioned reminded the therapist about something that they experienced.

Comments

oj101 33

It's better to have an emphatic, understanding therapist than one with a stiff upper lip, right?

Yeah, you're quite lucky, OP. From other peoples experience it seems that they just sit there and nod, and when you're done, they just prescribe you an antidepressiva and shoo you out the door.

18, That is VERY true. I went through 2 therapists (and one psychiatrist) who were EXACTLY like that. Even one was sitting on the other side of the room -with a clipboard in his hand. My current therapist is so cool, and actually listens rather then nodding, scribbling something down and saying "mmHMM" lol. During the 2nd session of the previous therapist I was like NOPE and walked the **** out lol

sugarshane007 20

I can't blame your therapist. The story was a heart-wrenching one, and it brought a tear to every eye, especially at the part where the sweet little southern belle cried out, "Run Forrest, run!"

I have had that too. One time I only got to age 6 before they reached for a tissue. Kinda kills your confidence in them being able to help you.

At least maybe this is a sign that your therapist can relate to your situations and can help you out better. :)

It's ok, my therapist cried when I told her about my childhood too. I found it kind of comforting and validating - like it was a way of saying, yes, bad things did happen, you have every right to be upset. Much better than another therapist I had who just smiled and nodded at everything. Like she just sat there smiling when I was describing the worst moments of my life.

I always found those smiling therapist to be extremely disconcerting, being professional is good, smiling like a whack job while someone describes horrific events is a whole other thing, that I see far too often. Id rather have a therapist cry - and then regain some composure.

From now on whenever someone asks me "What's FML?" I'm going to show them this post.

hellomynameisash 14

my little brothers made our family therapist cry once too, but i think it was because they threw sand in her face.

Sounds like your therapist is close to burn-out. If her crying makes you uncomfortable or unable to build rapport with her it's time to find a new therapist. After all, you are there to work on you not deal with her emotions. Good luck OP.

Sympathy doesn't make a therapist a burn out. I would prefer a sympathetic therapist because I know he or she would actually care, not just be a robot there to "fix" me.

I never said sympathy makes a therapist burn out. Lack of self care & massive caseloads are a part of burn-out. Anyone who had been in human services for any amount of time knows its quite challenging & dealing with others problems weighs on you after a while. Self care is key. When a therapist cries during an appointment that's a massive red flag that they are not in a good space. Good boundaries is key in being a good therapist in my opinion.

you must write your experience in a novel and share your saddness with the world. If no one else cried upon hearing your story then I think its time for your therapist get another job.