By Stormy - 27/02/2011 21:46 - United States

Today, I went to my first ever high school party with music, drinks, and dancing. Within a few minutes of taking my first ever shot of tequila, I was in the worst pain in my life. My parents were called and I had to be taken to the hospital. I'm alcohol intolerant. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 037
You deserved it 13 981

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You're intolerant because you're STILL IN ******* HIGH SCHOOL. I realise many people here are not from the US, but in Florida (where OP is from), it is illegal to drink under age 21. It's illegal for a reason. To all the idiots here saying "lol kids start drinking at 13 get a life lololooloool" you need to shut your immature, clueless little mouths. I've seen more kids killed while drunk driving than I'd care to mention. I just pronounced an 18 year old dead last week because he thought he could drive drunk and get away with it. He didn't. You can vote me down all you want, but that's the damned truth.

Wow, you shouldn't have been drinking anyway.

Comments

Dude... tampons go in the ******... *is squicked* Actually the ****** is a good place to put drugs if you wish to maximise potency, or so I heard.

Hahah, your parents probably just said that so you don't drink...

#18 I highly doubt that. Even for a novice drinker, one shot of tequila shouldn't cause pain. Several shots of tequila, though...That's a different story. *Shudder*

Proudmary 2

Actually, it could just be extreme heartburn caused by err, i do believe they call it GERD in English but I could be wrong. That would be a waaaay bigger problem than alcohol intolerance though.

FYL OP, that must have been humiliating. But as the person who was always the sober friend at the parties(I dislike being drunk), I can tell you it isn't as big a big problem as it might be made out to be. It's still hilarious to go to those parties and watch your friends acting ridiculous, plus you learn how to be confident without alcohol. And you are the one who remembers everything the next day, so there is the chance for a sneaky bit of blackmailing too. :P So don't worry, a life of sobriety isn't nearly as boring as people like to imagine! Additionally, to the people posting here who say "YDI" for drinking underage, try to remember that most people tend to start drinking around 13-14. When did you start?

#26 Seriously? I had my first drink at 18. :P

It makes no difference when we started. It doesn't make it right.

I was 14 too. But then again, that's only two years (or one actually, since I was almost 15) away from the legal drinking age here.

EugeneFancypants 0

I had my first drink on my 13th birthday :D.

Lol I'm 15 and I haven't had any alcohol yet and I don't plan to. Heck even the smell of it makes me sick so why would I drink it. Oh and there's a completely open bar in my house and nothing is locked. If I wanted to I could drink and probably not get caught, but I choose not to drink.

I've been drinking small amounts of alcohol for as long as I can remember (like a sip of wine every few nights). I'm 18 now and have been gradually drinking more and more for the last couple of years (not a lot, just a few beers and a glass of wine here and there). Point is, you should know if you're alcohol intolerant before you go to parties and taking shots.

woow 1 tequillia :S damn i had to go once to the hospital by alcohol but not ater one tequllia (after a few beers) me and my friends went over to pepsi (i thougt ) it was rum cola ( without my knowing) i drunk a half bottle of rum in 30 minutes ... ;o oww one more thing im dutch in holland you may drink alcohol if youre 16 legaly so you may guess witch age i was xD

FYL indeed!! u wont be able to drink anymore..

You're intolerant because you're STILL IN ******* HIGH SCHOOL. I realise many people here are not from the US, but in Florida (where OP is from), it is illegal to drink under age 21. It's illegal for a reason. To all the idiots here saying "lol kids start drinking at 13 get a life lololooloool" you need to shut your immature, clueless little mouths. I've seen more kids killed while drunk driving than I'd care to mention. I just pronounced an 18 year old dead last week because he thought he could drive drunk and get away with it. He didn't. You can vote me down all you want, but that's the damned truth.

OP being in highschool has shit all to do with their intolerance. o_O I'm actually kind of surprised by everyone flipping their tops about this. I don't think I knew a single person in highschool that was still an "alcohol virgin", so to speak. Heck, here are some facts. * The average boy takes his first drink at age 11. The average girl, at age 13. * Every day an average of 11,318 teens try alcohol for the first time. * More than half of high school seniors report that they have been drunk at least once. * Three million teens are alcoholics. * Americans drink the heaviest in their teens to mid-twenties. Alcohol use declines after that. * Teens who begin drinking before the age of 15 are four times more likely to become dependent on alcohol as adults than those who do not begin drinking until age 21. By saying this, am I saying we should be drinking underage? No. I'm not saying it's right, but telling the OP they deserve it is well... Odd.

agreed! people are just being ridiculous saying that. you can drink responsibly and not get in a car crash and die. not everyone thinks it's okay to drive.

Brilla, the fact remains that drinking under age 21 in the US is illegal. You don't have to like it or agree with it.

dudeitsdanny 9

I'm 20, and I've only EVER had 2 sips of alcohol: First time, i was a toddler and my alcoholic grandfather gave me a sip of his beer. Second time, I was 13, ordered a virgin pina colada, and they screwed up. So no. Not everyone has drank voluntarily before the legal age. That's ridiculous to suggest based on the people you know. I know plenty of drinkers, a lot of my friends drink, every girl I've dated drank before 21, a lot before 18. I've still never had a sip. It doesn't matter if "everyone does it." Sure, I speed, i "roll" at stop signs, I'm sure I do other stuff I can't think of now, so I'm not being self-righteous, but saying that it's stupid to use that as a reason why it's okay to drink before the legal age. I don't really plan on drinking, but I'm sure I will at least a few times in the time I have left.. But what's the rush to try alcohol? If you need alcohol to enjoy yourself, you've got bigger problems to deal with than those of us who think it's wrong. I never tell anyone not to drink under the legal age, but if you do.. Anything that happens is absolutely deserved.

SirEBC 7

I completely agree with Doc and Danny.

Alcohol damages brain cells impairing decision-making abilities and lowering inhibitions. A not-fully-developed teenage brain with even minimal damage leads to a kid doing stupid stuff. That's about as plain and non-sciency as I can make this for the slow people trying to argue against facts. I started drinking at 13. I'm not saying everyone should completely abstain from alcohol but don't argue that it doesn't do what it was designed to do.

OCDC 9

Think about when your friends are all hungover and throwing up everywhere, and you can be the one to blast bagpipe music. It's their own damn fault, after all.

Hey guys. Remember that guy in high school? Came to the party he wasn't invited to and pissed in the sink? We all know that guy. That's you, without peer pressure. Peer pressure's the same thing that causes you to drink alcohol at young ages. You can't deserve it for drinking underage. Sure, you've done something wrong, but you're kind of programmed to do it.

153, are you saying that it's ok to drink because of peer pressure? That's like saying the Nazis have no guilt because others ordered them to murder/murdered.

No. I'm not saying it's okay to drink underage. I'm saying you can't BLAME anyone if they "succumb".

200 - You're not programmed to do that (or anything else) at all! Peer pressure is easily avoided/ignored. You don't HAVE to drink, you CHOSE to. You always have that choice. I could have had many drinks throughout my high school years, but I chose not to (save for two occasions). If I can choose not to, so can everyone else on the planet. Bottom line, no one is programmed to do anything and they had a choice to not drink, which they didn't take. Just because you're underage doesn't mean you're exempt from this fact. You can still choose.

You don't know how peer pressure works, do you? We are programmed to follow peer pessure, like it or not. If you see everyone else drinking and telling you you're an ass because you don't drink blah blah blah it takes enormous self-restraint to not drink. Let me put it this way: You're desperately broke and jobless, etc etc. Someone tells you that if you break into a house and steal something, anything, you'll get 100 grand and an awesome job, no conditions. You might not accept, but I can guarantee you 90% people will.

206 - I know full well how peer pressure works, having experienced it for most of my life. People can choose not to do something; it's not written in stone that you have to do something because someone pressured you to do it. If someone pressured you to jump off a bridge and kill yourself, would you? Probably not. It doesn't take as much self-restraint as you'd think, actually. I do it all the time and it's ridiculously easy for me. That said, it may not be "ridiculously easy" for others, but it's certainly not something that takes enormous self-restraint. You'd have to be really weak to find it near impossible to simply say "no, thanks". You're comparing apples and oranges in your last few sentences. One is desperation to live, the other is recreational. You don't need alcohol to be cool, or even to live. You do need a roof over your head, food, etc to live a decent life.

Doc and Danny, I love you two. I want to add that I'm 20 and I haven't had [willingly] a drink because frankly there's no point to it. If you need alcohol to relax or have fun, you're pathetic and you need to learn how to ACTUALLY ******* PARTY.

this Is a test seeing as this thread has eaten 2 respondes to this comment already

Ok try # 3 then Many countries have lower that have lower drinking ages then the states also have lower alcohol related deaths because instead of saying NO YOUR TO YOUNG they promote responsible drinking. Compare it sex ed, in places that teach safe sex STI and teen pregnancy rates are lower then places that only teach abstinence. Teen want to drink and your not going to stop them so why not teach them to do it safely instead of just telling them its wrong.

and doc she's going to continue being intolerant well past high school and honestly if u think her being 17 or 18 when she had her first drink is what caused her intolerance then you sir are a shitty dr

marieli_fml 0

not alot people think that way. and I have to agree. :)

ribx 16

Drinking age in a lot of countries is 18, which is still high school age. And one shot of tequila is not going to hurt. I've been drinking responsibly with my parents since I was 13, and frequently with my friends since I turned 18 and I'm perfectly fine, two years in to my biochemistry degree.

Underage doesn't mean magically intolerant to a certain substance, dumbass.

I know in Canada the drinking age is 19, and in Quebec, it's 18. He still could've been old enough to drink in his respective country/region, despite the odds of that being true being unlikely.

Also, while I disagree with underrage drinking, him being a teenager as opposed to an adult doesn'r change the fact that he has an alcohol intolerance. Alcohol intolerance to that degree usually doesn't change as you get older, and it usually acts like a severe allergy (as opposed to something like alcohol poisoning from binge drinking or something).

ydi for underage drinking. fyl because you can't do it again :/ same thing happened to my friend because her mom had snuck her a drink (she told my friend my parents had done the same too). it was supposed to be a secret between them but after my friend turned red...so, yeah she thinks she's alcohol intolerant

sallen0046 4

So you did something that you not only knew you shouldn't be doing, but is completely illegal, and bad things happened? Who could have possibly guessed the outcome would be negative? You don't need to be drunk to have a good time. If your parents ever let you out of the house again, you might get to learn that.

Underage drinking may not be legal, but I've never actually seen anyone receive legal consequences. The worst I've heard are the cops showing up and shutting down the party, yet even at that, those occurrences aren't THAT common. Who could have possibly guessed the outcome would be negative? How was she supposed to guess that she would be alcohol intolerant? Even if she waited until she was 21 the results wouldn't change. I also like how you assume the OP's parents didn't know. Whenever I went out with my friends, my mother was usually the one to purchase the alcohol and bring me to the party.

sallen0046 4

It's one thing for your parents to tolerate such action at home, where they can watch you and know you're safe. It's completely irresponsible to supply minors alcohol and set them loose. Just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean plenty of kids aren't stuck with alcohol charges, and even more adults aren't stuck with contributing to the delinquency of minors. When you do something illegal, you shouldn't expect a positive outcome. No one ever thinks they're going to get caught, but people do, every single day.

Nearly everyone drinks at least ONCE before the legal age if it's 18 or 21. It really isn't unusual... and I boggle at the people who say "your body couldn't tolerate it because you're under 21 and it's ILLEGALZ!!!!11", wtf, the legal age has nothing to do with it. Children can tolerate alcohol as well if it's in proportionate doses, even if they shouldn't be drinking it at all it certainly won't land them in hospital after one sip. It'll just get them drunk, then they'll sleep it off just like an adult would. I first had alcohol when I was 12 and it didn't get me in hospital. Nothing happened, because I'm not alcohol intolerant. Oh well, I think it's much better to be alcohol intolerant than be genetically predisposed to alcoholism. The former means you can't drink, which might make you a bore at parties but not much else. Alcoholism ruins your life and can kill you. Any sane person would take the former any day, so your life definitely doesn't suck!

270 - You ARE a minor at 18 if that age is still under the legal age to consume alcohol. Here, you need to be 19. In the States, you need to be 21. Either way, you're still underage at 18 so you can be considered a minor in that sense.

azurablade 0

how do you inbox somebody off the iPhone app?

SirEBC 7

Yeah, because inbox is not a verb. Just kidding. Send me a message and I'll tell you how to do it.

Kiki_Venom 0