By bettysue - 06/02/2009 15:37 - United States

Today, I went on a first date with a guy I met at a speed dating event. He recommended the lamb shank, which I ordered without looking at the menu. When the waiter took my order, my date said, "wait, the lamb is $27, why don't you get the chicken". He then ordered the lamb for himself. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 896
You deserved it 3 816

bettysue tells us more.

bettysue 0

The facts are this: 1) I was asked out on a date. 2) I don't care about money. 3) I let him pick the restaurant so that he could keep it in his price range. I even offered to do coffee instead of dinner so that it wasn't a waste of money if we didn't have any real connection anyway. 4) He had been to the restaurant before and ordered the lamb dish, so he knew how much money it was. 5) I ordered water to drink. 6) He didn't even let me look at the menu before he recommended I get the lamb dish, because if I had I would never have selected a meal that was that expensive. 7) He told me to change my order in front of the waiter, and then ordered the lamb for himself. Not wanting to be a total bitch, I didn't complain, but at that point I expected him to pay for dinner. if I couldn't order what I wanted, why the hell should I pay? To all of you losers out there who weren't brought up properly, this is not the way to go about taking a woman on a first date. If you can't understand that, then I feel sorry for you. The whole point of this site is to tell humorous stories about everyday, insignificant things that people can relate to because we've all been there. It was a bad first date, but I think its a funny story. Whatever.

Top comments

p00p0nt0ast 10

And sarcasm isn't helping. I'd be frustrated too! So think a bit before you comment such rude things, it's not nice!

daxxbuttons 12

I'm so tired of people whining, "OH IT'S A DOUBLE STANDARD THAT MEN HAVE TO PAY!" No, jackass. If YOU invite someone out on a date, YOU pay. When I take my S/O out on dates, I PAY. When he offers to take me out, HE PAYS. IF YOU GUYS DECIDE TOGETHER, YOU BOTH PAY. WHAT THE **** IS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT ABOUT THIS CONCEPT.

Comments

OMGyoupeople 0

i think on a first date the guy should pay. doesnt mean you have to order the most expensive thing, but if he offers then rescinds THEN orders it for himself??? i mean, come on dude have a little class. i think i would have left the dinner.

gqduck 0

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you are being selfish. In our society when a man takes a woman on a date it is expected that she will get to choose whatever she wants and that he will pay. So what if it might be a little outdated? It is fun and any lady worth being in a relationship with deserves to be treated right during the courting period. By recommending the lamb to you, it is obvious that he really liked it. But then he decided you shouldn't get to have it and that he should. If he behaves this way on a first date he will always behave this way. You want a guy who doesn't always put himself first.

Angi95 3

I don't think that if a guy takes a girl out on a date it is assumed the guy pays for it.

I don't think she mention anywhere in this entry that he pay for the dinner. How come everyone just assume he did?

coolkidcraplife 0

who is the first "HE" in this?! the waiter or the date? seriously, be more specific next time!

YDI for expecting him to pay. There's no such thing as a free ride, honey.

123sploosh 0

people are so ******* rude. this boy was rude. these comments are rude. YOU ARE RIGHT, i cant stand hypocrites.

MetalCraze 11

i WOULD HAVE ORDERED THE LAMB ANYWAY LULZZZZZZZZZZZ

kornonthecobb 0

he should of at least had her try a piece or 2 since he mentioned it and i always try 2 get the least exspensive thing on the menu no matter wheither im on a date or eating with my mom and family i hate it when ppl spend a lot of money on me theres a dif. between 8 dollers and 20 and if i do get something exspensive i only get it if i have enough money 2 buy it or at least i give the guy the money

i think its horrible that he told her she couldn't have the lamb, but then got it for himself. thats really kinda selfish