By Rapunzel - 18/03/2012 20:02 - United States - Tucson

Today, I watched as my step-dad put locks on my window, because he's convinced that I've been sneaking out at night. All my mom did was casually remark that I'm fucked if there's ever a fire. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 112
You deserved it 3 064

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Comments

motox34 0

U have no hope ever escaping or sneaking out now and if there is a fire ur ******

Get a pet rock. Get him a little bed and water dish. Name him 'In case of fire, throw at window'.

KVKdragon 26

If I was in your situation, I'd either break the locks without being too obvious about it (it'd still be able to close, just not locked) or steal the keys one way or another to make secret copies. If you're that desperate in a legit fire, grab a chair or lamp and start smashing ;)

He isn't ur dad y does he even have a say!!!

coletrain11 5

I treat my step father as if he was my birth father. I obey his rules and whatnot because he is still the father figure in my life.

Not everyone has a lovely step dad...

thatdesertdude 7

He is married to her mother, so he has every right to do that. And it seems the mom was perfectly ok with the locks being installed.

^ I know you posted this comment before replying to mine, but I couldn't resist replying. Shut up. He has no right. He is not her father. Her mother is an idiot for being "ok" with it. If she wants to discipline her daughter, then it's her job, not his.

Actually, unless he has officially adopted the OP, I would say that no, he does not have a right do put locks on her windows. Just because he married the OP's mother doesn't magically grant him the authority that her mother and father have - personally, in my opinion, he has to earn that authority. Putting locks on the windows because he THINKS that the OP is sneaking out... no, oh hell no, in my opinion NO parent has the right to do that.

My step dad has earned my respect. I respect his rules for making my mother happy after my piece of shut bio father left my family for ****** booze and drugs. So perhaps this is a matter of circumstance. Not all stepdads should get shafted so easily just for being a step parent. But no I don't agree with the lock thing. Just had to put my two cents in about that part.

^ but that's your choice. We are saying that legally, step parents do not have any rights. It's great that your step dad was a better father than your biological dad, but that's not always the case. This guy doesn't seem all that great tbh.

Okay children, shut the **** up and listen. It's the stepfather's house. He is entitled to do what he wishes. You can talk about rights all day long, but just shut the **** up because you don't what you're talking about! She is living in his house. Too bad if she doesn't like it.

^ really, really not grandpa. For all you know he could have moved in with OP and her mom. Does that still make it his house, just because he is the man? I think not. She is not his child. He needs to earn her respect, it is not just handed to him because he is her STEP father. It is her mother's responsibility to discipline her own child.

Spoken like someone who has never raised a inherited kid

The only way this could be even worse is if he applies an outside lock to your door and applies it every night before he heads off to bed. Have fun getting to school/work on time should he ever meet that level.

Seriously? Unless he has legal custody, he has no right, no control over you. And your mom is a dumb ass for even allowing him to think that he does. FYL.

thatdesertdude 7

Doesn't the whole step-dad part imply that the OPs mom married they guy? I would think that being legally married to her mom would give him all the legal right that he needs.

citymayer 7

Not for any of the step parents I've had it didn't! I've had two step moms and two stepdads. They were NEVER allowed to have that kind of control over me. It's partly why there were two of each in the first place..

52- do not talk about things which you know absolutely nothing about. Step parents do not have rights unless they adopt the child, being married to the biological parent does not give them any legal authority.

thatdesertdude 7

The moms reaction seems to indicate that she had no objections to the locks, sucks for OP, but I don't think the step dad was in the wrong. I would hope that both people had discussed it prior to installing them. If not, wouldn't the mom be just a little upset if she disagreed?

Dude! Just STOP! He IS in the wrong, numerous people are TELLING YOU he is not right and he has no say in how she is raised or disciplined because he is NOT HER FATHER. We are telling you that he LEGALLY has nothing. Why are you arguing?! The mother is in the wrong too!

I don't think anyone would actually care about the legality of a step dad punishing his step daughter. The issue is her safety and whether or not it is being jeopardized with the instillation of bars on her window, and that isn't influenced by whether or not he is biologically related to her.

skyeyez9 24

And yet you think arguing over the internet will make complete strangers change their ways? Get over it.

kel_pie 1

Eric Forman: What if there's a fire? Red Forman: Well, then I guess you can just light your dope with it, dopehead!

ArrickMorris 4
musicfreak3197 1