By Jenniesaurus - 04/09/2014 12:22 - United Kingdom - Lancaster

Today, I was walking my dogs when a woman at a bus stop quite rudely exclaimed, "Keep those mutts away from my kid". I replied just as rudely that I wouldn't want them anywhere near her dirty sprog. It was then we both realised she was a customer that I regularly talk to at work. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 422
You deserved it 8 035

Jenniesaurus tells us more.

Finally had something FML-worthy to write and it got up! Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of supportive comments, they definitely make me feel a little better! I admit I shouldn't have been quite so rude, but I am fiercely protective of my dogs (they're rescue dogs and I've had them for 13 years) and I really don't like kids, and especially the mothers that, like her, look like they can't even look after themselves. I called the child dirty because he was quite literally dirty, stains all down his shirt and crumbs and chocolate all around his mouth. I know they may have happened since she left the house and the mum might have no way to clean him but there are so so many women on benefits who just have children for the sake of it around my area when they obviously can't afford to look after them. My two biggest peeves, women like that and people insulting dogs got to me big time! Thankfully I haven't seen her in work yet, hoping she'll steer clear of me and go to a different cashier in the future....

Top comments

Comments

People will say you shouldn't have been rude back to her, but I would have been super angry as well, if someone insulted me like that, out of the blue.

To be fair, the woman didn't insult OP, she just told them to keep their "mutts" away from her child. While it was rude, it wasn't a personal attack on OP; she probably just didn't like dogs.

You insult a dog, you insult the owner. The bitch was being malicious toward OP by insulting her dog.

People often pull their dog/children away from my dogs because 'they look aggressive.' When in actual fact my dogs love meeting anyone and everyone. Some even have the audacity to call them 'ugly' which I find insulting. People don't need to make comments on your pets. I wouldn't make about how their children or dog unless it was nice.

You insult the dog you insult the owner huh? Funny how when a dog is unruly, rude, barks all the time the dog owner usually has some excuse other than their poor training

I find the same thing #47, I have a ridge back who loves other dogs, and most people, but his size is so intimidating that people generally give a wide berth for me, I've never had anyone insult the dog, if it happens, I'll drop the lead and watch their reaction

@ #56 people could say the same about children as well... o.O

#47, if those are your dogs in your picture, they are adorable. I pull my dog away cause he doesn't do well with other dogs. Maybe thats what they were doing.

If it's not on company time or property, and there's no proof, where's her case? She shouldn't have been rude either.

Well there was no reason for her to be a huge bitch. she could've just held her child on her lap or something.

You did nothing wrong. She verbally attacked you on your own time. If she decides to come back as a customer that's on her, not you. She should keep her rude comments to herself.

OP this was outside of work. You shouldn't be worried about this because if the lady is really going to tattle on you to your boss you can explain it was outside of work and that she (another citizen) was rude to you and you simply told her off as another citizen

I read it as "**** dat bitch" but I did also watch hustle and flow recently so my interpretation may have been tainted lol

I would just pretend it didn't happen snd see what happens. When she goes back to the store , be super polite and professional but don't apologize or anything . Just pretend like it never happened. Chances are she may be embarrassed as well and may never bring it up. I would prepare an answer in my head in case she does, though. But what happens outside the store should stay there. Good luck.

Exactly. OP should just be normal and friendly, and most customers I've ever known would have definitely ignored the happenstance and acted fairly normally. Usually quick to leave of course, and sometimes going to another register for a few encounters, but nothing ever comes of it. At least when your customer base is reasonable and you actually perform customer service, but that's another story.

You're in the right - she attacked you for no reason. Maybe she should keep her dirty sprog away from your dogs if she's that concerned. What happens outside of work should stay outside of work.

I'm not familiar with the term, "sprog" is it kind of like a bad name for a kid? Like if she called the kid a, "dirty brat?" Kind of an insult but not terrible? Or is it a really bad name?

I would have told her to keep her nasty little children away from my wonderful, better than children in every way, dog