By waitress - 12/04/2009 02:07 - United States

Today, I was waitressing when a man sat at my table with soda from somewhere else. Drinks are half the profit for restaurants. There is a strict policy that you have to charge for carry-in drinks. I told him this, he yelled at me so I told him I was doing my job. I got fired, for doing my job. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 635
You deserved it 4 269

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks. I can't believe you got fired for following company policy.

I work in retail, so I know your pain when you have a horrible customer. They threaten you and try to make you feel like a peasant. All you have to do is wait until your shift ends to do something. Nothing says "owned" better than a flat tire.

Comments

Equinox987 0

Appeal that one, get yourself to an employment tribunal or a lawyer if needs be. You'll walk away with a nice settlement since it is unfair dismissal, unless there's more to this story like you smacked the guy in the face with a wet fish or something.

PenguinBob 0

I wouldve punched that guy as i left

Yes, because assault is always a GREAT idea. You couldn't possibly get arrested for hitting someone unprovoked.

swerrwer 0

seriously? sodas are less than 3 bucks at almost all restaurants if this is really half of your profit than you must work at like taco bell. you shouldn't have been such a stickler bitch. number 11 is exactly right.

first of all truthbringer, ur wrong... and a coke and a rum and coke doesn't make any sense a tall. soda DOES affect much of the profit. So heres what you do poster, flat the tire of customer and person who fired you. Then bring is as much soda as you can and yell at every single waiter, and when you leave dump it on the person of your choosing :D

HAHAURLIFESUX 0

I'm sure there's more to the story too but people Sodas by themselves are EXTREMELY profitable. If a restaurant sells you a fountain drink for 3 bucks they're profiting at least 2.50 from it. The profit margins on alcohol and soda are ridiculous, so mixed drinks are even more profitable. I doubt drinks are half the profit but they are very profitable. Anyhow, contact the person above your manager and have him fired and you can get your job back pretty easily if this is all there is to the story.

This doesn't make motherfucking sense

deliciouskaek 1

Your restaurant policy is really ******* stupid. I'll be damned if I buy my own drink and have to pay again to drink it. You shouldn't have been fired, unless you were a complete jerk about it, but your (ex) manager needs to reexamine that shit.

tiltwrestler 0

The customer is ALWAYS right. Remember that! And unless there was a sign on the door so he COULD SEE NOT TO BRING A DRINK IN.... it's not exactly "fair" to make him throw away a perfectly good drink, is it now? Just be glad he's buying food!

average_girl 0

wtf?? why would u get fired??? SUE!!!

woahcomments 0

People seriously get fired for a complaint from ONE customer? Like how important can ONE customer be? Especially since you were following company policy...

If the customer lies and/or over exaggerates, yes. One of my friends got fired because one of his customers asked for his number, and he turned her down. In turn, she went to the manager and made up a ridiculous story that ended in him getting fired. It also helps if you're not a favorite of the manager doing the firing.