By Anonymous - 28/12/2014 00:22 - United Kingdom - London

Today, I was waiting in line while a lady paid for her shopping, when her credit card got declined. She started ranting and insulting everyone and kept insisting: "I'm not poor!" By the time the lady had finally stormed off, I had spittle on my face, and the cashier was almost in tears. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 145
You deserved it 2 641

Same thing different taste

Top comments

JocelynKaulitz 28

One thing I've learned about retail: The customer is almost never right. Just rude.

yumyumpower 16

Comments

she probably had a terrible Christmas

shmoooopie 29

That doesn't give her the right to be a bitch to someone else

skittyskatbrat 19

#39, yep. Reasons are not excuses.

She was poor! She probably spend all her money in Christmas presents and didn't noticed that she was broke. I'm very sorry about that cashier, handling that kind of people is really challenging.

Sorry to the both of you guys, I hope the cashier gets a bonus.

The costumer is always right xD hate The rule, but lovee rhe app ;)

And nobody thought about telling her to shut her piehole and gtfo? Not even you, OP?

Ihavegas 22

the hand you wiped your face shouldve been the one to btch slap that cow!

If I was in your place OP, I would've told the lady that although she says she isn't "poor", something is wrong with her card (obviously) and she should go to her bank to sort it out then come back and pay for her stuff. Maybe that would've stopped her having a bitch fit.

The lady should not have been rude, but it's also quite likely her card was declined due to "suspicious activity" and not lack of funds. I have had this happen several times when making a purchase and it is mortifying. She should have handled the situation better, but I think everyone involved here had an FML moment.

Teddzz 19

She's obviously poor. Not enough manners

The lack of sympathy here for an elderly woman that can't afford to buy food is breathtaking. I'd bet she recently became poor and just had it rubbbed in her face. Saying "she should have handled it better" is empty and inhuman. How much humiliation can one bear before they snap?

But it wasn't the cashier's fault that the lady had no money, so it was unfair for the lady to shout at everyone when they didn't do anything to deserve that.

imagineapc 11

The cashier isn't the person who wrote the FML, instead we are expected to feign sympathy for the jack wagon who "got a little spittle" on his face - rather than an elderly woman who is going without her groceries for the week. Ydi, just because you lack empathy and are more worked up about spit.

calliet145 14

Nowhere in the FML did it say the old woman was trying to buy groceries and/or food somewhere. For all we know she could have been in a high end store trying to buy a bunch of things that she didn't really need. You're just assuming that she was trying to buy food. If that was the case, then yes, we should feel bad for the woman although she should have dealt with the situation differently. Unfortunately though we don't know the whole situation so you cannot just assume it involved a little old lady who can't pay for her food.

calliet145 14

Nowhere in the FML did it say the old woman was trying to buy groceries and/or food somewhere. For all we know she could have been in a high end store trying to buy a bunch of things that she didn't really need. You're just assuming that she was trying to buy food. If that was the case, then yes, we should feel bad for the woman although she should have dealt with the situation differently. Unfortunately though we don't know the whole situation so you cannot just assume it involved a little old lady who can't pay for her food.

Most high end stores have "clerks", not "casheers", at least the ones I go to. That being said, if it was food, I'm sure someone would have offered to paid, if not out of the kindness of their heart, then to get the "old ****" to shut the **** up and get the **** out.

@33 I have plenty, but it's reserved for people in real distress. Getting some spittle on your face is mildly unpleasant, finding out you can't afford groceries is utter misery. Have you stopped to consider how bad things are for her to (a) by on credit and (b) lose her shit that way over it?

43 - Using a credit card doesn't mean someone's poor. Having a card declined doesn't necessarily mean someone's poor. We still don't know what she was buying. Being rude is being rude whether you're having money problems or not. We get your point but there really isn't enough information to argue that people are being insensitive - for all we know she could just be a rude old cow.

My family has had moments where we can't pay for things, WE are the ones ready to cry. We would never yell at anyone and DEFINITELY a not insist we are not poor. The lady was more worried about people thinking she was poor rather than the food, so nope. No empathy or sympathy here