By fmypaint - 14/10/2009 09:31 - United States

Today, I was vigorously putting primer on my canvas for a beginning painting class. I accidentally sprayed specks of primer on the very dark painting to the right of mine. The painter is in an advanced class. She's been working on this one all semester. There's no one to her right. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 597
You deserved it 35 350

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Last time I checked, that's why you don't "vigourously apply primer." ESPECIALLY around other peoples work. You were basically asking for an accident.

YDI, and FHL. You shouldn't have been "vigorously" putting on primer to the point where you're spraying it everywhere. Learn how to not act like a jackass in the studio, and until you do, stay the hell away from other people's work.

Comments

thealliance 0

Get some crayons and cover it up! SECOND!!!!!!!!!!

her fml: today some asshole in my art class sprayed primer all over my painting that I've been working on all semester. i can't fix it. FML

Maybe that's why you have 0 out of 8 confirmed FMLs.

mdjn09 0

wtf, wut does "there was no one to her right" have to do with anything?

Looks like the OP wanted to blame someone else for it. YDI

Macromartyr 3

I'm reading the replies cause I wanted someone to explain that last sentence to me :P

marisamaroo93 0

that no one else could've done it since he is the only one sitting beside her.. as in he is on her left and no one is on her right side..

marisamaroo93 0

that no one else could've done it since he is the only one sitting beside her.. as in he is on her left and no one is on her right side..

I feel like this is more like **** her Life..since you ruined her work. if you were smart you would have taken a rag and imminently dabbed the primer off..you probably could have saved her a helluva lot of grief. This is why I hate sharing studios with idiots.

artifactoid 0

um, artkid, if you're so brilliant and experienced, shouldn't you know that it could be oil paint on that canvas? If the OP rubbed it with a rag, she could have COMPLETELY ****** up the painting by blurring everything, instead of just throwing a few specks on it. The OP should be honest and upfront with the other artist. It sucks, but you should have been more careful and you have to take responsibility.

of course I'm aware of that, which is why I suggested they DAB the primer with a rag...not rub it. the corner of a cotton rag would have soaked up the majority of the primer before it had a chance to set on the oil paint. maybe you should read the what i said before mocking me.

artkid, would rubbing primer off a dry oilpaint be a smart thing to do or the equivalent of ruining it?

Chocolate_Chunk 2

vanilla, "I suggested they DAB the primer with a rag...not rub it", moron.

artkid... you sound like a bitch and a know it all and no you just can't " dab it off" it wood smudge I even know that and im not an " art kid"

ozymandias_fml 0

On the plus side, she can't be very good if it is taking more than a few minutes.

obviously you have no idea what your talking about. Art takes time.

nikktherocker 0

You're stupid. How many years did the Mona Lisa take? 7. Oh wait! That was just for her LIPS.

Actually 33- I'm pretty sure the Mona Lisa only took 3 years over all, but sorry if I'm wrong (I don't know that much about art) . Either way, I agree, true art takes time

79 he was right It took 7 years for the lips and at least another 3 for the rest of it

The moms Lisa took 13 years all up. Not 3..

You need to get a real education if you actually think the name of the painting is the "mom's Lisa". Uncultured swine.

Last time I checked, that's why you don't "vigourously apply primer." ESPECIALLY around other peoples work. You were basically asking for an accident.

vigorously? are you a twat or a retard? either way, I hope the artist either can fix it easily, or tears out your eyes.

YDI, and FHL. You shouldn't have been "vigorously" putting on primer to the point where you're spraying it everywhere. Learn how to not act like a jackass in the studio, and until you do, stay the hell away from other people's work.

Heh heh heh. I saw "jackass" and read "Jackson Pollock" the first time.

Well, considering her painting wouldn't have been close enough to mess up to begin with if it had been in a more appropriate place and the observation that you should've thought to move it or deal with your priming in a more appropriate spot, you both were rather negligent. Pathemata mathemata - learn it well.

Mumblstiltskin 0

Typically advanced students and beginners don't have class together, therefore I am assuming the advanced student's work was simply sitting on their easel where it was supposed to be. It was ENTIRELY the other person's fault for being reckless and ignorant.

during the last quarter of last year, the "advanced" and "beginner" people shared a room on my course, though it ended up being the advanced people who caused the most trouble

I'm not an artist so my apologies if my question sounds ignorant but what exactly does the primer do and how does it affect her painting?

Mumblstiltskin 0

If you paint on a canvas that isn't primed the paint will just soak through because canvas is clothe. Primer acts as a barrier between the canvas and the paint. It's white and usually leaves huge streaks if you try to wipe it off.

artifactoid 0

Wow, a coherent, respectful exchange on the internet! Congrats, you two!

ahahaha. I love everything about this