By Kayak - 29/12/2013 23:23 - United Kingdom

Today, I was verbally abused by a tourist because neither I nor anyone else in my country can speak "proper English". We're in England - clue's in the name, dipshit. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 469
You deserved it 4 490

Same thing different taste

Top comments

challan 19

I'm dying to ask what country the tourist was from, but I'm petrified that you'll say the states.

Comments

To be fair, most people don't speak 'proper English' in England either. I'm pretty sure that's either the Oxford accent or the way it's spoken in specifically Southern England.

"Proper English" or Queen's English is very uncommon now, even in Oxford and the South. It's less accented, but not really Queen's English. Especially not in Essex.

'Proper English' is now 'BBC English', shame it's only spoken in a fraction of the capital of England. How dare any other English speaking person have an accent!

The BBC English is the way I speak. I'm understood by everyone I speak to, especially foreign people. I've seen people struggle to understand other British accents and I've had to translate for them.

Lucky you, so happy that your specific accent has been represented by mass media. Everyone else must be a boorish dick in your eyes... apologies. I'd be speaking my own language if the English hadn't banned it.

Oh whoops. I only skimmed over the comment, you're right.

That must be quite frustrating. Good luck dealing with any other idiots.

Didn't you know? In the country of origin, people never speak the language correctly.. :P

All of the tour agencies I have been to make their employees imitate the tourist's accents.

You probably should've used "fellow" or "chap".

You just made that up didn't you. Mate is a lot more common.

As an Australian.. I take this kinda offensively

Ihavegas 22

God help that tourist if he should come to the black country, west midlands! taraa a bit